All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tioga Cam
June 09, 2009 08:19AM
So I was looking to see if the Tioga Cam has been updated, which it has not. However, when you click on it, it does a pretty cool time lapse from Jan 1 - Apr 17. Interesting to watch the snow accumulate.

http://www.yosemite.org/129/Web-Cam-View.htm?expandable=1
June 09, 2009 08:45AM
That is pretty cool...

Here's an "update" for you from Sunday. June 7, 2009

June 09, 2009 08:58AM
The most interesting part of the Tioga Pass cam is this: UCSD

University of California San Diego

Huh?

Also the letters "SIO"

My dad worked at SIO (aka Scripps Institute of Oceanography) for over 50 years before he retired five years ago. He was an electronics technician (and see how much I know about electricity).

OK so let's do this again. UCSD. Nowhere near Tioga Pass. SIO. No ocean.

Huh?

It appears the Tioga Pass cam is now a time lapse. As of today anyway.

June 09, 2009 09:12AM
Vince

Huh?

Also the letters "SIO"

My dad worked at SIO (aka Scripps Institute of Oceanography) for over 50 years before he retired five years ago. He was an electronics technician (and see how much I know about electricity).

Huh?

The CRD stands for Climate Research Division.

It turns out that one's local climate is affected by more than what you can see from your front door.
June 09, 2009 09:25AM
szalkowski
Vince

Huh?

Also the letters "SIO"

Huh?

The CRD stands for Climate Research Division.

It turns out that one's local climate is affected by more than what you can see from your front door.

Yeah they're kinda all over the place, like ants.

Dad spent most of his time building gizmos with microphones. Yep, listening devices. Remember that Russian sub that imploded a few years back? Dad said "we knew within minutes where it was and what it was doing." He also said "Iran has submarines off our coast and we're having trouble finding them." This from a guy who doesn't say much.

I did meet up with a couple from UCSD who were pouring bright blue dye into middle fork San Joaquin River at Devils Postpile, at the soda spring across the bridge. I was told they time the amount of time it takes for the dye to go from A to B and determine water flow that way. Interesting for a minute. Then I hiked away.
June 09, 2009 11:29AM
Vince

Dad spent most of his time building gizmos with microphones. Yep, listening devices. Remember that Russian sub that imploded a few years back? Dad said "we knew within minutes where it was and what it was doing." He also said "Iran has submarines off our coast and we're having trouble finding them." This from a guy who doesn't say much.

I served in a Navy P-3 antisubmarine patrol squadron in the early '70's. I'm very familiar with former submarine activity but admit I'm not up to speed on present day deployments. Many third world nations have bought old diesel subs, many of which are former Russian "whiskey" class (NATO designation). If in fact Iran has any subs off our coast (likely only one at a time) they would be a diesel boat with snorkel capability which allows use of diesel engines while submerged shallow. Whether surfaced or submerged these diesels are easily detectable with acoustical sensors because they are just plain noisey. The only time they become difficult to detect is when they shut down the diesels and run slow and quiet on batteries. In this mode the motors are almost silent and the low speed props don't cavitate (create bubbles), making them the most difficult subs to locate. Fortunately, this mode is limited to the life of the batteries which must be recharged with the diesel engines. I don't believe Iran owns any nuclear subs. If they do they are not that difficult to track. There is one item on every nuclear boat (unrelated to engines or propellors) that is very difficult to keep quiet and is often the first sound detected.

I realize this post is quite a stretch from the Tioga Cam thread but if you look real close in some of the photos you can see a periscope in Tioga Lake. The Iranians are here!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2009 11:36AM by tomdisco.
June 09, 2009 12:14PM

There is one item on every nuclear boat (unrelated to engines or propellors) that is very difficult to keep quiet and is often the first sound detected.
?snoring
?toilets flushing
?sound of atoms splitting

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
June 09, 2009 12:52PM
"Hi sailor. New on the boat?"

Old Dude
June 09, 2009 06:37PM
Frank Furter

There is one item on every nuclear boat (unrelated to engines or propellors) that is very difficult to keep quiet and is often the first sound detected.
?snoring
?toilets flushing
?sound of atoms splitting

Primary cooling pump for the reactor.

Jim
June 09, 2009 06:44PM
Hell, if you want to "Run Silent, Run Deep" then just turn the damn thing off!

Old Dude
June 10, 2009 07:15AM
mrcondron
Hell, if you want to "Run Silent, Run Deep" then just turn the damn thing off!

Nuclear subs generally do not shut down (scram) their reactors except in dire emergencies or drills, for which limited battery power is available submerged or auxillary diesel power is available when shallow. They also need to maintain some headway to retain meaningful input to their control surfaces. Shutting down the reactor would still require raw water cooling to continue for some considerable time. Maintaining headway, keeping the cooling pump running, plus all other uses run down batteries quickly. The cooling pump is noisey because it has to push a tremendous volume of water all the time. Also, running deep is not necessarily the best avoidance technique, depending upon location of the thermocline (depth of greatest sea temperature decline). Sound deflects off the thermocline and is very significant to both subs and sub hunters. I will not bore you with any more of the technical aspects of sound ray paths in the ocean. It can be a very complicated science.

Jim
June 10, 2009 07:19AM
Maybe I'm wrong but I think he meant that was the last "manuever" they would make...

(and that's not Tioga Lake... sub is in the wrong waters...)

tongue sticking out smiley
June 10, 2009 07:40AM
Dale,

You are correct. I misplaced the toll gate. Good thing I'm not posting a photo on Panoramio.

Jim
June 10, 2009 08:07AM
Yeah, I was suggesting that turning off the reactor cooling pump to reduce the noise and then to boat could run around without being detected. For a while.
Mystery Link:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052151/

Old Dude
Re: Tioga Cam
June 09, 2009 07:33PM
Why does it seem like the Tioga Pass cam goes down during spring (i.e. the most interesting time of year to check the cam) every year, and despite the road being open, they seem to have great difficulty in fixing the problem...
June 09, 2009 07:34PM
Ryno98
Why does it seem like the Tioga Pass cam goes down during spring (i.e. the most interesting time of year to check the cam) every year, and despite the road being open, they seem to have great difficulty in fixing the problem...

It's on dialup and last week when I came through Tioga they were not accepting credit cards. Which probably means the phone line is out.
Re: Tioga Cam
June 10, 2009 12:06PM
8 June 2009

The images from Tioga Pass are not being transmitted due to phone line failure.

Our science field team will be in Yosemite towards the end of June and they hope to make repairs then.

The loop below shows images from early January through mid-April of 2009.

Thanks for your patience!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login