Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Lon Chaney's Phantom of the Forest

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Lon Chaney's Phantom of the Forest
May 29, 2011 05:51PM
You see it first as a greenish corrugated tin roof hidden in a grove of solid red lodgepole pines. By then, you have hiked three miles, mostly uphill, and are 1,700 feet higher than your starting point 10 miles west of Big Pine in the John Muir Wilderness in the eastern Sierra. A left fork off the main trail places you below a set of stone steps and a massive stone structure. The idea of such a trek is to get away from civilization. So if you aren't expecting what's coming, the 1,288-square-foot granite field stone structure suddenly materializing is a bizarre discovery that, at first glance, can arouse a naturalist's uneasiness at encountering anything man-made in a wilderness setting.

http://articles.latimes.com/2003/jun/07/local/me-outthere7
Re: Lon Chaney's Phantom of the Forest
June 01, 2011 08:31AM
I can't help singing "Werewolves of London" when I pass by. Unfortunately I have some of my "singing" on video tape.

(Much like the song "What would you do with a drunken sailor" when I hike past Drunken Sailor Lake in Sabrina Basin. And they have taken the work "drunken" out of that lake's name on some maps...)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login