Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (54% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

US Forest Service welcomes more California jobs under new ski legislation

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar US Forest Service welcomes more California jobs under new ski legislation
November 09, 2011 04:09PM
VALLEJO, Calif., Nov. 8, 2011 – California is expected to see a boost in its local mountain economies as a result of a new legislation that now permits year-long recreation opportunities on U.S. Forest Service ski areas.

The Ski Area Recreational Opportunity Enhancement Act of 2011, which was signed by President Barack Obama on Nov. 7, is estimated to create and annually sustain up to 600 extra jobs nationwide. “This is great news for promoting job growth and economic stimulus in California,” said Regional Forester Randy Moore. “Local restaurants, hotels and shop owners are likely to see an increase in business as visitors flock to scenic Forest Service locations for year-round activities.” In California, there are 25 ski areas on 11 national forests:

• Angeles National Forest:
    • Mountain High (East, West & North)
    • Mt. Waterman
    • Ski Sunrise
    • Mt. Baldy
  • Eldorado National Forest:
    • Kirkwood Ski
    • Sierra at Tahoe
  • Inyo National Forest:
    • June Mountain
    • Mammoth
  • Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit:
    • Heavenly
    • Homewood
  • Lassen National Forest:
    • Stover Mountain
  • Modoc National Forest:
    • Cedar Pass
  • San Bernardino National Forest:
    • Bear Mountain
    • Big Air/Green Valley
    • Snow Summit
    • Snow Valley
  • Sequoia National Forest:
    • Shirley Meadow
  • Sierra National Forest:
    • Sierra Summit
  • Stanislaus National Forest:
    • Bear Valley
    • Dodge Ridge
  • Tahoe National Forest:
    • Donner Ski Ranch
    • Boreal Ridge
    • Alpine Meadows
    • Squaw Valley
    • Sugarbowl
The new legislation amends the National Forest Ski Area Permit Act of 1986, which allowed only nordic and alpine skiing. Under the new legislation, other snow sports may be permitted on National Forest System lands, as well as year-round activities. Potential permitted activities may include zip lines, mountain bike terrain parks and trails, Frisbee golf courses, and ropes courses.

“National forests will now be able to provide even more economic benefits to some hard-hit mountain communities,” said Forest Service Chief Tom Tidwell. “Our national forests are America’s gems. Now more visitors will have so many more recreational opportunities on these beautiful lands in California.” Nationwide, it is estimated that roughly 600,000 more summertime visits may create and sustain annually up to 600 more full-, part-time and seasonal jobs nationwide. This addition of summer recreation is expected to infuse almost $40 million of direct funding into mountain communities near ski areas. Currently, the Forest Service averages 27 million visits annually to ski areas, which has in turn contributed $4 billion every year, and 80,000 jobs in rural communities. Protecting natural resources on the Forest Service’s 122 ski areas will remain a priority and year-long facilities will be subject to the same review and approval processes as those for ski facilities such as the construction of ski lifts and ski trails. Not all recreation activities will be permitted. Those considered to be destructive to the natural
environment will be excluded, including tennis courts, water slides and water parks, swimming pools, golf courses, and amusement parks.

The mission of the U.S. Forest Service is to sustain the health, diversity, and productivity of the nation's forests and grasslands to meet the needs of present and future generations. Recreational activities on our lands contribute $14.5 billion annually to the U.S. economy. The agency manages 193 million acres of public land, provides assistance to state and private landowners, and maintains the largest forestry research organization in the world.
avatar Re: US Forest Service welcomes more California jobs under new ski legislation
November 09, 2011 06:26PM
I guess I'm confused...

USFS - Pacific Southwest
Potential permitted activities may include zip lines, mountain bike terrain parks and trails, Frisbee golf courses, and ropes courses.

Doesn't Mammoth already have mountain bike trails, indeed mountain bike _races_, on its leased site? How does this legislation change anything?
avatar Re: US Forest Service welcomes more California jobs under new ski legislation
November 09, 2011 07:07PM
ttilley
I guess I'm confused...

USFS - Pacific Southwest
Potential permitted activities may include zip lines, mountain bike terrain parks and trails, Frisbee golf courses, and ropes courses.

Doesn't Mammoth already have mountain bike trails, indeed mountain bike _races_, on its leased site? How does this legislation change anything?

I was wondering about that myself.
November 09, 2011 07:12PM
Maybe it will allow Beer Pong,Mud Wrestling and carnival rides to finally make the National Forest interesting.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Re: US Forest Service welcomes more California jobs under new ski legislation
November 10, 2011 08:29AM
Maybe not all ski areas have year long permits like some of the others. Mammoth has a lot of activities, June runs the chairlifts in the summer... I believe Bear Mountain has mountain biking in the summer, too, but I'll bet some ski area have had only seasonal permits.
November 11, 2011 02:58AM
Like the sign says:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login