Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (81% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Bicyclist Killed In Crash With Car

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Bicyclist Killed In Crash With Car
June 10, 2009 03:50PM
Yosemite Valley rangers responded to a report of a motor vehicle crash involving a bicyclist on the afternoon of May 29th. Sung Mo Ku, a 52-year-old South Korean citizen, was riding a mountain bike eastbound on South Side Drive, a two-lane, one-way road, when the accident occurred. Accident investigators believe that Ku was attempting to cross from the south side of the road to a pullout on the north side of the road when he collided with an oncoming vehicle. Witnesses estimated the speed of the vehicle to be about 30 mph, and said that Ku was thrown up on the hood, then thrown forward to the ground when the vehicle stopped. Ku was treated on scene by ranger/medics and was transported by ambulance to the Yosemite Medical Clinic. He was then flown to Doctors Medical Center in Modesto, where he died from a severe head injury. Ku was not wearing a helmet.
avatar Re: Bicyclist Killed In Crash With Car
June 10, 2009 10:04PM
Wow! I drove by the accident scene. Had no idea that it was so serious.
June 10, 2009 10:23PM
I once was an avid cyclist and always wore a helmet. On one ride a friend of mine was no wearing a helmet and someone came up to him (not from our group) and said to him, "They can fix everything except the brain".

I've actually collided with a car. Went right over the hood and the top of my helmet skidded three feet across the hood of the car that cut me off. The driver was exiting a parking lot driveway and failed to yield. I had a hairline fracture of the wrist and minor scrapes all over. I did in fact walk my damaged bike home. However - my head was just fine and my helmet was properly fastened. I see too many people who wear their helmets loose or way too high; they should cover most of the forehead. When they're loose they can expose part of the head on impact.

I remember hearing that a simple unobstructed fall on a hard surface just three feet onto the head could be fatal. Most of us don't worry too much about walking or running, but riding a bicycle (or rollerblading at high speeds) can mean sudden circumstances where loss of control could mean landing direct on a hard surface (car, window, pole, tree, pavement) with far more energy than that simple 3 ft fall.
June 10, 2009 10:41PM
If I remember the rules correctly, bicycles are considered the same as cars, unless there is a bike lane. There are signs all around that say "share the road" and show a picture of a bike rider Fine, but if this bike rider decided he could cut across two lanes (not just switch lanes as a car might do) he is at fault and the driver of the car is not, especially if the driver of the car was going only 30 mph...which I think is the speed limit in that area.
June 11, 2009 10:26AM
I keep reading this story and wondering if the 2 lanes in one direction got him confused and he did not look for a car coming in the direction it was actually travelling. It seems unlikely that someone from a foreign country (where pedestrians and bicycles have fewer rights of way) would intentionally pull in front of a car and expect it to stop or slow enough to get by.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
June 11, 2009 10:30AM
He probably just didn't bother looking before darting across the road. Sigh.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login