Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Waterfall near Cathedral Peak

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Waterfall near Cathedral Peak
June 13, 2009 06:54AM
Does anyone know anything about this waterfall?

We caught a brief glimpse of it while driving Tioga Road, somewhat near Cathedral Peak, and I thought we would get closer to it later, but we never saw it again. It's probably there only in the springtime. Does it have a name and is there a way to get closer to it? There is a page about it here:

http://www.world-of-waterfalls.com/yosemite-cathedral-lake-falls.html
avatar Re: Waterfall near Cathedral Peak
June 13, 2009 07:23AM
Bob,

Take a look at Google Earth and slant the view angle to about 45 degrees. You can see where the rocks are stained by what is apparently a seasonal waterfall from Lower Cathedral Lake. There's probably always some flow there even during the dry season; just can't see it on GE resolution. Looks like best access is via Cathedral Lake trail and then go around the lakes.

Jim
June 13, 2009 08:29AM
Thanks for the information. That helps a lot. On the Google Maps "terrain view" it is labeled Tenaya Creek, coming out of the lower Cathedral Lake and then skirting around Pywiack Dome, then it merges with another creek that comes off of Medlicott Dome, then is Tenaya Creek emptying into Tenaya Lake. The waterfall must be on one of those 2 creeks that merge. The one that comes from Medlicott Dome has a steep part, which would also seem like a likely spot for a waterfall. Maybe there's one there too, but it's not visible from the road. Anyway thanks for the information. My curiosity is satisfied.
June 13, 2009 11:42AM
Yes, that falls does come out of lower Cathedral Lake. About 23 years ago (1986), I followed the creek from Teneya Lake back up to lower Cathedral Lake, walking up and along the south side of where the water for that falls flowed out from the lake. As I recall, it was in August and there was just a trickle of water coming out of the lake. Although steep, the rock face was not to difficult to scramble up. Of course, I was a lot younger too.
June 13, 2009 11:59AM
Thanks... that's good to know, would make a fun hike someday. I'm sure the waterfall is very picturesque with the peak in the background.
June 23, 2009 11:44AM
Bob Weaver
Thanks... that's good to know, would make a fun hike someday. I'm sure the waterfall is very picturesque with the peak in the background.

We just saw this fall last week when driving by after our Cloud's Rest jaunt - a lovely fall. We hope to scramble up there next time, either from below or from LCLs outlet..
November 02, 2011 06:17PM
Bob Weaver

The best spot, arguably, to view this waterfall is from one of the domes behind Polly/Stately Pleasure Dome. You see nearly the entire thing - it almost looks like Pywiack Cascade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2011 06:17PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
November 02, 2011 06:55PM
If you're gonna try to sell something. A picture would help.
(is this enough of a blatant hint?)

Chick-on is looking at you!
November 02, 2011 07:19PM
Yea, I gotta go back and get a photo during the run-off season. There's a bit of flow now, but you really can't see much w/o binocs. The only photo I can provide is one that shows the path down the mountain, into the forest, along Pywiack Dome (Photo #2). Eventually it gets to Tenaya Lake, of course.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2011 07:38PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
November 02, 2011 08:14PM
Kewl. Another fine view can be had from Tenaya Peak. A most excellent view of Pywiack Dome
and the top portion of L Cath Outlet Cascade. Only been up there once late so mine will
be similar to yours. The view of Pywiack Dome itself is worth it imo. Can post a few of those if peeps like.

I'm now salivating over all these domes to check out. Looking at routes along lots of them...
Did you get up Fairview? I lazed out and only went up Marmut:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,48319

November 02, 2011 08:50PM
I'm interested in all pics, pls post. They bring new perspectives, places to go that never would have crossed my mind, and inspiration for possibly creating some new routes.

Only got to the saddle of Fairview that day. Hiking partner and I decided as a team to tackle it next year. There are so many domes along Tioga, it's almost endless. A good reference book is "Tuolumne Free Climbs" (Roper is one of the authors). It has some good info on some of the use trails (class 2 or 3) that climbers take to hike/scramble down. Learned about so many domes I've never heard of before, such as East Cottage Dome.
November 03, 2011 06:47AM
Yup. I have that book. smiling smiley

I posted a few from Tenaya Peak here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/Dolly

And the one I was more or less thinking about is in there... this one:

November 03, 2011 09:03PM
That dome in the upper right reminds me of Starr King. This is just a fascinating area.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2011 09:04PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
November 04, 2011 08:08AM
Ohnivy-Drak
That dome in the upper right reminds me of Starr King. This is just a fascinating area.

You realize that is Fairview, no?

Fascinating indeed. One that really has caught my eye is the one to the left of Fairview,
that's Mariuolumne. Looks like a wave on it's right... and when the wave subsides...
you'd end up with a 'perfect' dome.

November 06, 2011 03:02PM
Have you read up on the Doda Dome? That's now high on my list, even though I'm not into "augmentations." The history behind the naming of the dome is humorous enough to make a trek out there, along with taking a photo of it from afar.
November 07, 2011 06:01PM
Ohnivy-Drak
Have you read up on the Doda Dome? That's now high on my list, even though I'm not into "augmentations." The history behind the naming of the dome is humorous enough to make a trek out there, along with taking a photo of it from afar.

Sounds similar to Dolly Domes. wink

Pretty funny there is a 'Silicon' route up Doda. Doda may be anything but trivial to get up. You may need climbing equipment.
I'm definitely doing a route through all these domes next year. And I'll sit on the nipple of Doda. tongue sticking out smiley

If you missed it... here is Dolly Domes Cascade (Cleavage Cascade) from earlier this year:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,39233

I do have a picture of Doda from the Roda. It's Oka. Not Greata. Maybe I posta.

November 07, 2011 08:00PM
In a tribute to Yoda, posta you musta. Drink a soda I willa, while your phota I looka. And some gouda I shall muncha.
November 07, 2011 10:51PM
Ear you go-a. From the roada:

Some great trees on it.

And since you mention Starr King. Here is one I ran across this morning. I really like this one on account of :
a) it's got Starr King in it
b) it's got Bunnell in it
c) it's got Billy Dome in it
d) it shows some great glacial polish (I LOVE glacial polish)
3) love the trees in the middle o the granite

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login