Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (97% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Rangers Arrest Guide For Operating In Park Without A Permit

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Rangers Arrest Guide For Operating In Park Without A Permit
September 24, 2012 02:42PM
Grand Canyon National Park (AZ)
Rangers Arrest Guide For Operating In Park Without A Permit

On Friday, August 31st, after approximately four weeks of investigation, rangers arrested 42-year old Brian Thompson of Cottonwood, Arizona, for conducting commercial operations in a national park without a permit. He was arrested after he received payment to guide a multi-day backpacking trip into the canyon. Thompson’s arrest came about due to the routine monitoring of backcountry use and permitting in the park. On September 12th, Thompson appeared in federal court and pleaded guilty to violating Title 36, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 5.3, engaging in business without a permit. As a result, he was ordered to pay a $200 fine and was sentenced to a year’s probation, during which time he is banned from the park, cannot provide tours or guiding services (paid or unpaid) in any national park or national forest, and cannot advertise that he conducts tours or guiding services in national forests or national parks.
avatar Re: Rangers Arrest Guide For Operating In Park Without A Permit
September 24, 2012 04:37PM
Reminds me of the guide in the movie The Canyon.

avatar Re: Rangers Arrest Guide For Operating In Park Without A Permit
September 24, 2012 08:17PM
yosemitejim
Reminds me of the guide in the movie The Canyon.

Reminds me of the "guides" who offered their services when I visited Morocco. I especially liked the one who offered to prove he was licensed by showing me a "Carte de Sejour" (residency permit).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login