Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: "Early" El Nino

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 15, 2009 03:29PM
This would explain a few things. Been raining up here in Reno pretty much every day for the last three weeks.

Reno Gazette Journal
June 15, 2009 07:57PM
I'm going to be hiking the JMT, starting July 1. It's going to be colder, more mosquitoes and more difficult stream crossings than I thought when I set the date.
June 15, 2009 08:00PM
What part of the JMT are you going after? I'm only going to have one hiking day this weekend (Sat) and I haven't hiked the part from Postpile up to Shadow Lake. But the weather is supposed to be really great this weekend, finally, so should be some fun, with new pics for the file.
June 15, 2009 08:10PM
I don't remember stream crossings being a problem on the JMT but this year with the slow melt there might be a lot of snow on the high passes.

Old Dude
June 15, 2009 08:19PM
mrcondron
I don't remember stream crossings being a problem on the JMT but this year with the slow melt there might be a lot of snow on the high passes.

In '05 the log across Minaret Creek was broken in two so I had to stop there. That was first day of summer. It will be interesting to see how things up there are four years later with a halfway decent snow pack.
June 16, 2009 05:48AM
Vince
mrcondron

In '05 the log across Minaret Creek was broken in two so I had to stop there. That was first day of summer. It will be interesting to see how things up there are four years later with a halfway decent snow pack.

Yes, I've been following the Yahoo JMT Forum. Several posters have done the JMT numerous times at different times of the year. They predict the stream crossings to be "brutal". I saw a video that one guy took crossing, I think Bear Creek. The water was up to their waists.

Jon
June 16, 2009 05:44AM
Vince
What part of the JMT are you going after?

The whole thing. I'm very excited about it. Have wanted to do it since I was a kid, and finally everything worked out so I can take 3 weeks and do it.

Jon
June 16, 2009 07:03AM
Jon, the one I've always heard of is Evolution.
I'm sure by the time you get to it you will have too...

Have a great trip and enjoy the snowy passes!

(I'll do the JMT again when I am Mike's age when he did it...)
(He'll be doing it again with me then... vicariously or spiritiually)

smiling smiley
June 17, 2009 10:38PM
Thanks Bill! I'm sure I will. smiling smiley

Evolution, huh? OK, I'll be looking for that one.

Jon
July 28, 2009 05:01PM
sierranomad

Evolution, huh? OK, I'll be looking for that one.

Jon

How was Evolution flowing? How full was Thomas Edison?
Did you see Florence Lake or get restocked at Muir Trail Ranch?
June 18, 2009 01:54PM
Vince
This would explain a few things. Been raining up here in Reno pretty much every day for the last three weeks.

I think it was just waiting for me to be camping before it would end.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login