Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

More Hawaii Pics: Big Island

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar More Hawaii Pics: Big Island
March 27, 2013 07:07PM
I buried a link to these pics in a comment on some otherwise Yosemite related thread as the comments drifted to where the link seemed plausibly relevant...after seeing Basilbop's series, here's some of the pics.

I spent Presidents' Day week on the Big Island, with a Hawii Volcanoes Coast Backpack as well as a general Circumnavigation of the Island.

The first thing I did upon landing and getting my rental vehicle was to drive that vehicle on a "lava road" just north of the airport to a pretty cool beach:

The winds were pretty strong the entire time, here's a view from Ka Lae, the southernmost point in the US:

There are two currently-active eruptions on the island, here's a nighttime view of light from a lava lake reflecting off of volcanic gasses from one of them, visible from the Jaggar Museum:

And the Devastated Area, from a 1950s eruption:

A few of the backpack pics at Hawaii Volcanoes:

Continuing around the island...Akaka Falls:

And the spectacular Waipi'o Coast:

And finally, the raw form of an absolutely vital part of the waking up process:

avatar Re: More Hawaii Pics: Big Island
March 28, 2013 12:50PM
Thanks for the photos of the Big Island. Need to get back there in the next several years.

Been away from Hawaii from too long.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login