Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (97% of Full)

Advanced

REI to limit returns

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

REI to limit returns
June 03, 2013 10:36PM
June 3, 2013 at 8:15 PM

REI now limiting returns to one year

Kent-based REI, which previously had no time limits on returns, made the change after noticing an increase in customers taking back old merchandise.

By Amy Martinez

Seattle Times business reporter
For years, REI’s generous return policy has earned it the nickname “Rental Equipment Inc.”

An Internet search of REI’s “100% Satisfaction Guarantee” turns up all kinds of stories about overused merchandise returned for a full refund or store credit.

There’s the mom who returned a stroller for no other reason than her children simply had outgrown it. Or the dad who took back an old bike rack because it clashed with his new car.

Starting Tuesday, REI will try to discourage customers from “renting” equipment for as long as they like by ending its policy of no time limits on returns. Customers will be allowed to take back store items for one year after purchase. The deadline for returning outlet merchandise bought on REI.com will be 30 days.

http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2021116265_reireturnsxml.html
Re: REI to limit returns
June 16, 2013 09:52PM
Frankly, I wish I had known about the unlimited return policy. I bought a marmot rain jacket there about 5 years ago. When I finally got to use it in the rain last year it was far from water proof.

Oh well, $125 down the drain so to speak.
June 17, 2013 08:22AM
hotrod,
You can still salvage that raincoat by using something like NikWax TX.Direct Spray-On. There are a number of products available that may do the trick. I've used them on the rain fly of a very old large cheap family size tent. The fly was leaking badly along the seams and it solved the problem immediately. I too have a Marmot rain jacket purchased at REI and have doubts regarding its ability to hold out driving rain so I plan to treat it this year w/ the NikWax. Of course, after that it's treated it will likely never rain while I'm on the trails.
June 20, 2013 10:41AM
tomdisco

Of course, after that it's treated it will likely never rain while I'm on the trails.

Which is the exact reason why you treat it! Guarantees great weather in your journeys. wink

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login