Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Herger bill would fast-track forest clearing, logging

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Herger bill would fast-track forest clearing, logging
June 17, 2009 07:46PM
U.S. Rep. Wally Herger has drafted a bill that would allow local governments to declare a fire-risk emergency on federal forest land, putting them on a fast track to clearing and logging projects while bypassing lawsuits ... Herger's legislation seeks to implement clearing projects on U.S. Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management acreage if the projects are identified 'at-risk' by a nearby community or watershed.

http://www.redding.com/news/2009/jun/17/herger-bill-would-fast-track-forest-clearing/
avatar Re: Herger bill would fast-track forest clearing, logging
June 17, 2009 09:32PM
I roll my eyes every time I see the term "forest management".
I think it's pretty well known we suck at "controlling" or "managing" the
environment. The best management practice IMO is leave it alone and let
mother do her work.
June 17, 2009 10:11PM
Every time I see one of these "thinning" schemes I look for who's making money from it.
June 18, 2009 04:43AM
eeek
U.S. Rep. Wally Herger has drafted a bill that would allow local governments to declare a fire-risk emergency on federal forest land, putting them on a fast track to clearing and logging projects while bypassing lawsuits ... Herger's legislation seeks to implement clearing projects on U.S. Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management acreage if the projects are identified 'at-risk' by a nearby community or watershed.

http://www.redding.com/news/2009/jun/17/herger-bill-would-fast-track-forest-clearing/

On first blush, these always seem like good projects. But, on closer evaluation it often turns out that, instead of conscientious selective logging with minimal impact, replanting with increased diversity there is extensive roadbuilding, clearcutting or logging of only the oldest/largest trees and destruction of habitat.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
June 18, 2009 05:53AM
Frank Furter
On first blush, these always seem like good projects. But, on closer evaluation it often turns out that, instead of conscientious selective logging with minimal impact, replanting with increased diversity there is extensive roadbuilding, clearcutting or logging of only the oldest/largest trees and destruction of habitat.

Yup.
The national forest, unless it is designated wilderness, is more or less just a tree farm.
Go by Evergreen Lodge and you'll see an example.
Not sure if people remember but when eeek put up the 'flyer' about the new buildings
at Evergreen the flyer mentioned old growth trees. I debunked that... especially since
Hetch Hetchy put in Birch Lake for the sawmill built next to it ... and you can guess
where the trees came from...

Currently "they" are cutting trees along Cherry Lake road from 120. Clearcutting...
it's not pretty...
Anyway... I understand the idea of saving property... ok.. maybe you get the picture.
Goat off the box
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login