Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite to Whitney in September?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Yosemite to Whitney in September?
June 20, 2009 10:15PM
What are the usual conditions on the JMT starting in Yosemite around September 1st and ending at Whitney near the end of September? I realize every year can be different. But, in general, is that a good time to tackle those 211 miles? Or would August be better?

Mosquitoes?
Snow?
Available water?
Day and night average temperatures?

Etc....

I may never get another chance to do this while my knees are still relatively friendly with me...so I hope to try this year. I know I can probably dig up the information in other places, but I know there are a lot of helpful people here.

Thanks.

Bill
avatar Re: Yosemite to Whitney in September?
June 22, 2009 06:41AM
Go.

Mike and I did it Sept. 1 two years ago.
We had zero mosquitos. You may have a few but you'll be hiking so much it won't matter.
I went with a 30 degree bag. Mike had a 20.
Considering the wierd year so far... I'd recommend you have 20 and bring fleece as minimum.
You won't have any snow then...
There is water everywhere... you'll run into it prob every 5 miles... not an issue... when we
went the ranger mention water may be an issue... uh... no.. no... no... not at all
Lake Thomas Edison sucked and we had to walk about a mile to the ferry but there
was plenty of water... as it is thru-out the sierra IMO

Go...
Re: Yosemite to Whitney in September?
June 25, 2009 06:42PM
Thanks for the information bill-e-g. I thought the mosquitos would be very bad, especially this year. I can't wait to go.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login