All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Upper Pines Camping Questions
January 15, 2007 03:16PM
Hello,

This is a great resource and I'm glad I found it! I have a few camping questions in regards to the Upper Pines Campgrounds that I'm hoping someone familiar with the Park can answer.

The max number of people per campsite is listed as 6. Is there a max number of tents per campsite? Is 3 tents too many?

I've made a few reservations all under my name. Is that going to be a problem when we arrive?

How good are people at vacating their campsite by 10am?

I suppose that's it.. for now smiling smiley
Thanks!
avatar Re: Upper Pines Camping Questions
January 15, 2007 05:19PM
yosemitenewbie wrote:

> The max number of people per campsite is listed as 6. Is there
> a max number of tents per campsite? Is 3 tents too many?

You should be ok with 3 tents. Just make sure you get a site that's big enough for them.

> I've made a few reservations all under my name. Is that going
> to be a problem when we arrive?

I wouldn't think it'd be a problem.

> How good are people at vacating their campsite by 10am?

I've had a ranger come by and remind me to be gone by checkout time. They're fairly strict about it.

Re: Upper Pines Camping Questions
January 16, 2007 08:20AM
Sometimes the rangers are good about getting people out by 10 AM, sometimes not. I have arrived at noon before, only to have to wait around for some stragglers to get their act together - with no ranger in sight. Not neceassrily the rangers' fault - Bush won't give them the funding they need to staff properly, and in a place like Yosemite, they have plenty of other critical things to deal with.

Bruce Jensen

Wilderness forever,
Bruce Jensen
January 16, 2007 08:40AM
> I've made a few reservations all under my name. Is that going
> to be a problem when we arrive?

I have reserved 2 spots at the same time and had no trouble.

How good are people at vacating their campsite by 10am?

I also have had the ranger remind me to leave by checkout.
January 16, 2007 09:30AM
Thanks for the quick and helpful responses! I'm going to try my best to get there around 10am so we can make the most of that first day smiling smiley Time to figure out how long the trip from Orange County will take.

As far as picking a good site for 3 tents.. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because there wasn't much of a choice when I made my reservations yesterday. I felt I was lucky to get a site at all. The website had major problems from 7am-9am due to the amount of people trying to make a reservation. I initially saw my ideal sites as available but I was unable to get through the whole process at that time. Around 9am, most sites were gone but the website was a lot better. The demand is intense! smiling smiley Hopefully the new system will be much better for handling these situations.
January 24, 2007 05:19PM
i was up there on 1/21/07 and checked out Upper Pines Campground while i was there.... they did reaffirm that they are open year round... $20.00 a night for a normal campsite. they said you have to still go to the office and pick up an envelope to fill out (you know, the honor system)... the Rangers will check up on you too, so don't think you can sneak in for free during the winter. lol
January 25, 2007 06:15PM
When I stayed at Upper Pines in July 2003 it was 6 people / 2 tents / 2 cars per campsite. I can't find anything anywhere that states how many tents are allowed now, but I'm not aware of that part of the rules being changed.

The rangers did come around every morning to check "parking permits," so be sure you have it posted in the upper corner of the windshield on the driver's side.

I hope you enjoy your time there. Be sure to tell my little squirrel alarm clock hello if you happen to see him.

February 10, 2007 11:34PM
I've had up to 4 tents in a site and have never had any problems due to tent count. I have a feeling those rules are mainly used to fall back upon if some people get ridiculous about their campsite population numbers.
February 14, 2007 12:22PM
here is a site that shows the campsites for that area.

http://yosemitecampsites.com/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login