Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Re: High Sierra Camps

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 22, 2009 12:16AM
In 1923 Superintendent Lewis advocated reestablishment of the High Sierra camping service providing simple, cheap accommodations at minimum operating expense. T . E . Farrow of the Yosemite National Park Company accordingly projected plans for a series of "Hikers' Camps" Lewis sent his new park naturalist, Carl P. Russell, into the backcountry to locate appropriate campsites.

Because of the beauty of their surroundings, the availability of water, and the fact that they were within a day's walk of each other, he selected campsites for the project at Little Yosemite Valley, Merced Lake, Boothe Lake (later Vogelsang, in a different location), the Lyell Fork of the Tuolumne, Tuolumne Meadows, Glen Aulin , and Tenaya Lake. The Yosemite National Park Company proceeded to build the camps, and, by 1924, all of them except Lyell Fork and Glen Aulin consisted of a mess and cook tent and dormitory tents for men and women. Attendants and cooks worked at each place, and mules brought in equipment and supplies. Because the company offered these facilities at a low price, they became very popular. In 1925, after the merger of the Yosemite National Park Company with the Curry Camping Company, the camps were retitled High Sierra camps because of their growing popularity with saddle parties as well as hikers. A new camp beside White Cascade at Glen Aulin began operating in 1927. Because of a mosquito problem, the camp later moved to a valley to the east. The camps were not money-making ventures, but profits in overall concession activity covered the losses, which the company deemed acceptable because of the convenience and service such facilities afforded the public.
June 22, 2009 12:20AM
There are today seven camp locations, two of them--at White Wolf and Tuolumne Meadows—accessible by auto . The other five camps--May Lake, Glen Aulin, Sunrise, Vogelsang, and Merced Lake—comprise the highly popular High Sierra Loop. Each of the camps is located in a beautiful setting, usually near water or on the edge of a mountain or meadow, and each one provides comfortable accommodations in the form of permanent beds in cement-floored tents, a dining tent, and hot showers and flush toilets. Since 1925 the the Yosemite Park and Curry Company has owned and operated the camps. They have been criticized in recent years because of the sanitation problems they pose, the impact on backcountry trails of large numbers of campers, the resulting erosion, and their generally negative impact on the area's ecology.
June 22, 2009 12:31AM
The Higher, The Fewer.

Lembertness.
June 22, 2009 06:28AM
Too lazy to get out of the Bronco?
June 22, 2009 11:53AM
bill-e-g
Too lazy to get out of the Bronco?

The one he broke?
June 22, 2009 07:09AM
June 22, 2009 07:11AM
Don't worry Mike... I did find one sign by Doggy Lake that said TM Lodge.
(but I also did already have the one by Sunrise TH)
tongue sticking out smiley

June 22, 2009 04:22PM
Interesting that there used to be a Lyell Fork HSC. Does anyone have a photo/drawing of it?

I was aware of the Tenaya Lake HSC.
June 22, 2009 04:48PM
RobE
Interesting that there used to be a Lyell Fork HSC. Does anyone have a photo/drawing of it?

I haven't found any pictures yet.
June 22, 2009 04:51PM
I never heard of this one.
June 22, 2009 04:51PM
bill-e-g
I never heard of this one.

It didn't last very long.
June 22, 2009 04:54PM
June 22, 2009 05:23PM
Thanks.

I found a pict of Boothe Lake HSC:

June 23, 2009 11:10PM
Here's Chick-on after conceding to only five HSCs. It was a rough interrogation.
Sorry but you have to click on the link as we don't want children exposed to the image.

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/mrcondron/Chick-on.html

Old Dude
June 23, 2009 11:54PM
And unaffordable too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login