Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Kinder Scout - UK trip report (pic heavy)

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Kinder Scout - UK trip report (pic heavy)
December 08, 2014 05:46AM
Hi all!

I don't post here nearly enough, but then, living across the pond in the UK, I don't have a huge amount to contribute. However, I do consider this forum to be a bit of a hiking "home" for me, so I do like to share my trips on the rare occasion that I manage to get out and about.

This year, due to changing not just jobs, but taking on a complete career change and trying something totally new, I have no money. Zip. Nada. So, coming back to Yosemite was out. I did want to do more local hiking as there is so much I haven't explored in the UK yet, but time constraints have curtailed that this year too :-(

So, desperate to squeeze in at least some hiking this year, I took a last minute trip a few hours north to a place known as the Peak District.
There was a route that I tried here many years back, and could not complete due to fading light and difficult conditions.

But, now with even better fitness, more determination, and an earlier start, I thought I would make a second attempt at at it. I really don't like being beaten!

Setting off into the hills. My route begins in the valley to the right side of the picture. I lugged along my camera, tripod, and set of filters, hoping that once the fog cleared I would be able play around and experiment in an effort to get some great shots of the Derbyshire countryside. I also brought along my tablet for GPS. My phone used to work perfectly well, but the battery barely lasts a couple of hours these days, so would be of little use. I've been told that navigation where I was going can be difficult, so wanted GPS as a backup. I use viewranger on my phone and tablet, and it works perfectly for me. To be honest, I was far too over-prepared, and was carying far too much gear, so I really felt the weight once the trail began to rise.

The trail begins in the trees, and follows a small brook, which flows down from the top of "Kinder Scout", which is where I was heading. Navigation for the first part of the day is easy - simply follow the brook upwards.

Once out of the trees, the view opens up, and the trail begins to climb

The trail dissapears, and you have to figure out the best route. Crossing the brook many times is needed, and picking the right place to cross is important to avoid wet feet. (As a backup, I was wearing waterproof socks)

The trail got steep, and visibility grew worse as I got higher

At the top of the Kinder Scout plateau - the views are great....

...Or at least I am told :-(

There are at least some interesting rock formations to see

As you can see, navigation was tricky. Visibility was very, very limited. I could often hear the voices of other walkers, but not see anybody, very odd feeling, knowing that there is a group very close, but having no idea where. I made sure to check my location reguarly on the GPS.

At one point, at a large trail junction, where some 5 trails intersect, a group approached me to ask for directions. They were not too sure where they were, and wanted to know which way to go. I took out my maps, and GPS, and showed them that the were indeed on the right path, and heading in the right direction. They dissapeared off into the fog, while I took a bit more insulation out of my bag. Upon putting my bag on my back again, and intending to set off, it became clear that without any visual frame of reference, I had no idea which was I had come from, or which way I needed to go. Navigation get a lot more diffucult when there is no sun, and every direction looks as grey as the last. Only time I've ever had to actually use my compass.

At one point, I was lucky enough to have the cloud break, and the view open up

A place so bleak that even the normally very hardy sheep, had given up and died...

Kinder Downfall

The second half of the hike was much more challenging. Any signs of any kind of trail vanish. The hard ground gives way to a nasty peat bog, and you enter a labrynth. There are lots of different routes, and many turns. Often, you would follow a particular route for a while, only to arrive at a dead end, and have to backtrack. Progress was slow!

Every one looks the same, and the sides are too high, and steep to climb out of. Any attempt to scale the walls just results in failure :-(

What a throughly bleak, and disgusting place!

At one point, while crossing the bogs, I sank, in the blink of an eye, upto my lower chest into the bog. I think it was probably only the pack on my back that stopped me going any deeper. It took me completley by surprise, and certainly knocked the wind out of me. Any attempt to free myself seemd fruitless. Trying to lift my legs was impossible, due to the suction, and everytime I did get a bit of wiggle room, the bog held onto my boots, trying to rip them from my feet. I wasn't exactly panicking, but knew it could be a pretty bad situation. By now, water had get into everywhere, and my lower body was getting cold.Trying to push myself out didn't work either, as my arms just sank.

After about 10 minutes, I managed to esape by kinda dragging myself out, and then rolling across the bog to prevent any further misshap.

I was tired, muddy, wet, cold, and quite hacked off by this point, and just wanted off the hill. There was still a second maze to navigate before things got easier.

After much time, I finally found my exit point. At least the clouds were treating me to some interesting sights.

So, even though it was technically a success, I would deam this hike to be the worst I have ever done. Lots of hard work, and nothing rewarding in terms of views. And falling into a peat bog just ruined the end of my day. I may return, and do a slightly different route in the winter once there is some snow on the ground, and might even try my first bit of snow camping here in January.

I had rented myself a very cosy little cottage in the middle of nowhere, so after a short drive, I returned back to base. Luckily the pleasant surroundings made the end to my day a bit nicer...

Bubblebath to soothe the aching muscles

And easily the best bedroom I've ever had in a cottage

So, there you go guys. It's not Yosemite related, except in the sense that it keeps my skills sharp for my return next year.

Next on the list is a return here to do a circular route that starts and ends at a local pub. The route will be much easier to navigate, and the snow underfoot should make it easier to cover ground. I will be taking a much, much smaller pack, and trying to go light. I am a terrible over-packer. I took very little to Yosemite last year for my 6 day hike, but usually end up taking far too much on these little day hikes - planning for the worst. My emergency shelter I took with me, just in case of servere downpour, was actually heavier than my tent, and takes up way more pack room too. I need to get the battery on my phone sorted so I can leave the bulky tablet behind. I also need to decide if a hike is going to be a photography mission, or speedy hike, where I want to cover as much ground as possible. I seem to end up combining the two, and then never getting my camera out, but still lugging around the weight.

Medium term, I would like to tackle Benn Nevis up in Scotland. I've never been there before, as it's quite a distance, but it's the highest peak we have in the UK, so is on my list :-)

Summer next year is a return to Yosemite and a 7-10 day route out of Glen Aulin, and returning via the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne.

I've also just started looking at the Mont Blanc Trail which is an 11 (hopefully 6-7 for me) day route taking in the Alps, and travelling trough France, Italy, and Switzerland. Amazingly, it's probably easier, quicker, and cheaper for me to get there than it os to get to Scotland.

I hope you enjoyed the report guys - sorry the views were not upto much!

Steve
Re: Kinder Scout - UK trip report (pic heavy)
December 08, 2014 10:43AM
That first rock formation was mindful of Overhanging Rock
at Glacier Pt. Small world.
avatar Re: Kinder Scout - UK trip report (pic heavy)
December 09, 2014 02:08PM
Steve,
Your higher up view reminded me of our view of Crater Lake many years ago during a brief snow storm. Never saw a damned thing! Anyway, thanks for the report.
Jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login