All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Camping Near Clouds Rest
June 24, 2009 03:53PM
Does anybody have any recommendations for good places to camp near Clouds Rest? I want to be on the peak for sunset and the following sunrise, so I'd like to find a good campsite within about a 15 minute walk if possible. Yes, I expect this to be a "dry" camp. Is there enough room on the top to spend a night? Any help would be appreciated.
avatar Re: Camping Near Clouds Rest
June 24, 2009 04:04PM
It's been a while but I remember it being mostly flat on the northeast side of Clouds Rest.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=37.769426,-119.485459&spn=0.029446,0.052056&t=p&z=15
Re: Camping Near Clouds Rest
June 25, 2009 02:02PM
eeek
It's been a while but I remember it being mostly flat on the northeast side of Clouds Rest.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=37.769426,-119.485459&spn=0.029446,0.052056&t=p&z=15

Eeek is right - just east of the summit (maybe 3/4 mile?) is a large very flat "saddle" that would easily accommodate a campsite nearby but hidden. Dry yes, but with snow patches still there water is just a melt away. If you could get started 1/2 hour before sunrise sans pack, you'd have no real trouble getting to the the top. Only 15 minutes back down. The going is not hard.
June 25, 2009 02:29PM
bpnjensen
eeek

Eeek is right - just east of the summit (maybe 3/4 mile?) is a large very flat "saddle" that would easily accommodate a campsite nearby but hidden. Dry yes, but with snow patches still there water is just a melt away. If you could get started 1/2 hour before sunrise sans pack, you'd have no real trouble getting to the the top. Only 15 minutes back down. The going is not hard.

That sounds perfect for what I had in mind. Thank you both for your help!
June 24, 2009 04:09PM
I've seen people camping on the top ... and I've stomped the snow and camped up there myself...
but technically it's not really allowed since you can't get 100 ft. off the trail up there.

There are locations on both sides of the summit "block" to camp. If it would have been windy
when I was there I would have camped near one of the pinnacles. You don't need to be right
on the summit to get great views.
June 24, 2009 04:28PM
bill-e-g
I've seen people camping on the top ... and I've stomped the snow and camped up there myself...
but technically it's not really allowed since you can't get 100 ft. off the trail up there.

There are locations on both sides of the summit "block" to camp. If it would have been windy
when I was there I would have camped near one of the pinnacles. You don't need to be right
on the summit to get great views.

While 100 feet is the recommendation, supposedly a well-used site 25 feet from a trail is legal. I saw quite a few previously used areas less than a mile from Clouds Rest.

I thought that close (15 minutes) might not be practical. I remember areas which were granite on one side and a steep hillside covered with manzanita on the other side.
June 24, 2009 04:32PM
Whatever location you do end up using please let me know your experience. I plan on doing Cloud's Rest next year since weather wasn't permitting when I went last year.
June 24, 2009 04:38PM
This is the pinnacle I'm talking about.

This was the view coming from the South.

Sure ... people camp practically right on the trail. I don't agree with it. I like to give people their space in the backcountry.
I certainly want mine...
If someone is dayhiking they are effectively walking right thru your campsite if you camp on the top.
That's my point... that's all...
June 24, 2009 04:43PM
dqniel
Whatever location you do end up using please let me know your experience. I plan on doing Cloud's Rest next year since weather wasn't permitting when I went last year.

I'll be happy to follow-up with a few pictures.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login