Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Calif. rejects protection for pika

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Calif. rejects protection for pika
June 25, 2009 02:13PM
The pika, a fist-sized relative of the rabbit, lives in high-elevation boulder fields in the Sierra Nevada and is sensitive to warm weather. The Center for Biological Diversity asked the California Fish and Game Commission to protect the species, citing evidence the pika is declining as its habitat shrinks due to climate change. The commission voted unanimously to reject the petition, calling the evidence inadequate to justify protection.

http://www.sacbee.com/capitolandcalifornia/story/1976783.html
Re: Calif. rejects protection for pika
June 26, 2009 03:54PM
<sigh> well, they'll just have to take it up again when the last pika in California is identified and see if they have a change of heart.

FWIW, The only place I have seen a pika in Yosemite is at Mt. Dana's summit. I suspect they are also up at Lyell, Conness, Matterhorn, Ritter and Banner Peak, as well as the more southerly Sierra peaks, maybe up at Shasta too, but overall the real estate above 12,500 feet is pretty limited statewide. It won't take much warming to eliminate 95% of the habitat available, and practically nothing more to kill the last 5%.
avatar Re: Calif. rejects protection for pika
June 26, 2009 05:13PM
I wonder where pikas lived 8000 years ago...
June 26, 2009 05:22PM
I wonder...
June 26, 2009 08:26PM
Nevada
June 27, 2009 12:08PM
Bee
Nevada

Could be. It wasn't much of a desert 8k ago.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login