Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Devil's Postpile pix

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 26, 2009 11:59PM
Someone requested some pix.

So here are some I took. The sun location sucked the one and only time I've seen it...

http://picasaweb.google.com/dale.dekeyser/Postpile

#1-#17 is Devil's
#18-#25 is Little Devil's in Yosemite

If anyone has some really nice ones... please posty ...
June 27, 2009 12:14AM
It looks better during the day:

June 27, 2009 06:08AM
eeek
It looks better during the day:

Yeah, I was bummed because it was very early morning.
I thought it faced east so the previous night I was stoked...
Well... at least there wasn't any grey snow around too...

Need to go back again sometime... and see Rainbow Falls too...
June 27, 2009 12:39AM
Incredible! The Little Postpile is really neat as an intro, but this is fantastic!
June 27, 2009 07:12AM
The geologists say this columnar fracturing process is due to rapid cooling of the basaltic flow-- like the drying of a mudflow. Production of this is not due to a particular type of basalt and is not crystalization. It is explained as the cooling process that resulting in contraction along all axes but with different amounts of movement. In the vertical direction, the cooling related contraction can occur with integrity maintained. In the horizontal direction the cooling results in the aliquots of basalt being pulled apart and fracturing. Apparently it does not mean much that some columns are hexagon, octagon,or other polygon.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
June 27, 2009 07:40AM
Say wut? Yer not frum aroun hea ar ya?

Old Dude
June 27, 2009 08:22AM
mrcondron
Say wut? Yer not frum aroun hea ar ya?
Protest! Predominantly a philippic phrase pertinent to previously presented pedantic, though perspicacious, pontification on pebbles.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
June 27, 2009 11:48AM
Entire week in Reds Meadow July 17-25 coming right up...

FF, did you notice the remnants of a cabin at the base of the Postpile? It's kind of hiding behind a small lump of columnar basalt toward the footbridge. All that's left is part of the fireplace. There are picnic tables along the MFSJ river there.

Plans at one time were to blow up the Postpile and put in a reservoir. I think Muir was personally involved in stopping that one.

You're guaranteed a rainbow at Rainbow Fall if the sun is out. Like the Postpile, wait till after Noon for a good photo.

Most people take photos from the North end as they first see the postpile. Here's one from the south side. Tip: also hike the John Muir Trail up on the cliff opposite the postpile. I have to look that one up, it's a spectacular view. I'll find it for you tonight...I got a foot out the door...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login