Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Grand Canyon hiking: Tips on how not to have a heart attack

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Grand Canyon hiking: Tips on how not to have a heart attack
June 28, 2009 07:03PM
f hiking the Bright Angel Trail, or any other trail that leads down into the Grand Canyon is the stuff of your dreams, be warned--it isn't the easiest thing to do. Sure, going down is fine. That path of switchbacks, often with mule pee at every turn, beckons downward. "This is swell, " you might say to yourself. "Isn't the Grand Canyon grand?"

http://www.gadling.com/2009/06/28/grand-canyon-hiking-tips-on-how-not-to-have-a-heart-attack/
avatar Re: Grand Canyon hiking: Tips on how not to have a heart attack
June 29, 2009 10:25AM
Knowing I had a headlamp...I started the hike at noon, made the overlook into the inner gorge (Plateau Point) around 4, back at the car by 9 p.m. in mid-May. Say hi to all the sweaty hikers coming up in the middle of the day, didn't break a sweat myself...learn from experience
avatar Re: Grand Canyon hiking: Tips on how not to have a heart attack
June 30, 2009 07:12PM
Vince
Knowing I had a headlamp...I started the hike at noon, made the overlook into the inner gorge (Plateau Point) around 4, back at the car by 9 p.m.

That sounds rather slow. How many miles is it and how much altitude gain?
Re: Grand Canyon hiking: Tips on how not to have a heart attack
July 05, 2009 09:05PM
From the Bright Angel trailhead to Plateau Point and back is about 12.2 miles. The altitude gain on the way back up is about 1/2 mile.

When I did the hike, I departed about 10am, got to the overlook about 4pm, was back at the rim around 9pm, and was eating tri-tip at the restaurant by 9:30pm.

My descent time was fairly long because I stopped frequently to take photos, look at rocks, and talk to people.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login