Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Housekeeping camp

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Housekeeping camp
February 15, 2007 09:54PM
Can anyone tell me how early housekeeping spots are open for reservations. I know the tent/rv campgrounds are 5 months in advance, but I always thought housekeeping was 1 year in advance. Is it different now?

Also, is it hard to get a spot at the walk-in camp4 in mid june?
February 16, 2007 12:51AM
bobbyv wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how early housekeeping spots are open for
> reservations. I know the tent/rv campgrounds are 5 months in
> advance, but I always thought housekeeping was 1 year in
> advance. Is it different now?

AFAIK it's one year. But you should call (559) 253-5635 to confirm that.

> Also, is it hard to get a spot at the walk-in camp4 in mid
> june?

I haven't tried but I strongly suspect that it is.

Re: Housekeeping camp
February 19, 2007 08:15PM
If you can get to Camp 4 on Sunday when people are leaving, that can help. I got there on a Sunday at the end of June in 2005 and was able to get a spot. The mistake I made was I said I would be there two days, but after the 2nd night I decided I wanted to stay 3 nights. Then I had to wait in a loooooooong line and hope I could keep my spot for that night. So make sure you know how many nights you're staying from the beginning! The climbers or other campers will show up very early or sleep in their sleeping bags overnight in line. You'll want to get there early to get in line.

If you are going into the backcountry at all, you can stay at the walk-in backpacker's campground in the valley the night before your permit starts and the night you return.

Tamarack Flat, Yosemite Creek (beautiful but down a loooooong bumpy road), and Porcupine Flat are also nice options, but may not be be open that time of year depending on when they clear Tioga Road 120.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login