All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar In wake of Half Dome tragedy, should cables come down?
July 03, 2009 12:37AM
Then there were those who strongly suggested the laddered cable system should come down, or argued that the cables should remain in place.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2009/06/in-wake-of-half-dome-tragedy-should-cables-come-down-.html
avatar Re: In wake of Half Dome tragedy, should cables come down?
July 03, 2009 07:34AM
One post and 99+ to go.

Jim
July 03, 2009 07:48AM
Anyone have the address for mail to Acting Superintendent Dave Uberuaga?
Letters on this issue may be the most effective action. I would hope that most would be in favor of leaving the cable up.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Re: In wake of Half Dome tragedy, should cables come down?
July 03, 2009 10:16AM
eeek
Then there were those who strongly suggested the laddered cable system should come down, or argued that the cables should remain in place.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2009/06/in-wake-of-half-dome-tragedy-should-cables-come-down-.html

The answer is simple.

NO. Teach people the risks and let them decide for themselves. If 55,000 people a year climb the monolith and only about one becomes a casualty, and almost uniformly in bad conditions, that's a mighty good record, and speaks for itself.

Bruce Jensen
July 03, 2009 11:38AM
The Yosemite NP web site has extensive advice on Half Dome, bears, etc.

The answer is NO! No! No! No!

For another thread: Angel Island should be a National Historic Site not a state park.
July 03, 2009 02:29PM
I say leave the cables up for the elitist daredevils. It will at least keep that type out of the valley for some of the time.
July 03, 2009 02:34PM
abenebbish
I say leave the cables up for the elitist daredevils. It will at least keep that type out of the valley for some of the time.

Elitist? Thousands of people do the cables every year. How could that be elitist?
July 03, 2009 03:00PM
Every year millions of people visit the valley floor. Only a few do this egocentric type of activity.
July 03, 2009 03:12PM
abenebbish
Every year millions of people visit the valley floor. Only a few do this egocentric type of activity.

Sounds like you have an axe to grind for some reason. Whatever the reason Yosemite is not just the Valley and is not just for the hoards that roll by in their cars, buses and RVs.
July 03, 2009 04:04PM
eeek
abenebbish

Sounds like you have an axe to grind for some reason. Whatever the reason Yosemite is not just the Valley and is not just for the hoards that roll by in their cars, buses and RVs.

Isn't Yosemite Valley an epicenter for world-class rock climbing? If you want to discuss "elitist daredevils", the rock climbers (and maybe the BASE jumpers) are it.

The large majority of Half Dome hikers enter and/or exit in the Valley anyways. It's hardly anything that a reasonably fit person couldn't attempt. There's more danger in driving an RV on Tioga Road than getting up the cables at Half Dome. The only difference is that the dangers are more apparent going up/down Half Dome than the seemingly innocuous road only mere feet from driving off a cliff.
July 03, 2009 09:24PM
abenebbish

I guess I'm egocentric because I did the Half Dome hike?

Give me a break...

Some people do it for the view, some people do it for the personal accomplishment, some do it because they've been dragged along by friends/family, etc. You're speaking out of ignorance, not to mention flat-out rudeness, insisting that the people who climb/hike Half Dome are egocentric.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2009 09:27PM by dqniel.
July 05, 2009 12:26PM
dqniel
abenebbish

I guess I'm egocentric because I did the Half Dome hike?

Give me a break...

Some people do it for the view, some people do it for the personal accomplishment, some do it because they've been dragged along by friends/family, etc. You're speaking out of ignorance, not to mention flat-out rudeness, insisting that the people who climb/hike Half Dome are egocentric.

Do not feed the trolls, etc...
July 03, 2009 04:43PM
I was thinking about it, and one of the things that occurred to me was that one of the primary difficulties is that the granite between the rock is slippery now, making the ascent and descent rather perilous. If one slips from the cables, the feet aren't likely to hold to the granite (save maybe wearing climbing shoes). If ones' feet slip first, that will make holding onto the cables critical (I remember that happening a few times to me).

So the thinking I have was that the wooden planks seem to be the most stable place to be along the cable route. In fact, that's where many people compose themselves. What about maybe a series of planks held together like a rope ladder hung from each pair of stanchions.
July 03, 2009 04:56PM
I have been wanting to suggest this for a while, but I am sure that it will rankle the purists: Can't they "rough up" the feet-polished granite along the cable route(which created an "unatural" condition in the first place) thereby giving a better surface for traction?

Bee Cowboy

PS

So, Abe, are you, like, suggesting -- hoping -- that some sort of attrition via Half Dome fatalities will help cull the Valley Herd??
July 03, 2009 05:09PM
Bee
Can't they "rough up" the feet-polished granite along the cable route(which created an "unatural" condition in the first place) thereby giving a better surface for traction?

That might happen in the end. But I'm sure it would engender a lot of debate if the suggestion started being taken seriously by NPS.
July 03, 2009 05:14PM
Is anyone working on that address for the Superintendent?
I know that if you want to report or comment on the function of the park there is a specific PO box send written comments to.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
July 03, 2009 05:17PM
Frank Furter
Is anyone working on that address for the Superintendent?
I know that if you want to report or comment on the function of the park there is a specific PO box send written comments to.

Superintendent
Yosemite National Park
P.O. Box 577
Yosemite CA 95389
July 03, 2009 06:39PM
no one has to have permission or any training etc to climb El Capitan, it's all up to the person to decided if they're ready for it or not. why should Half Dome be any different?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2009 06:41PM by forrestranger.
July 03, 2009 06:41PM
btw, i'm surprised no one has made it law that it (Half Dome) become handicap assessable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2009 06:42PM by forrestranger.
July 03, 2009 06:51PM
forrestranger
btw, i'm surprised no one has made it law that it (Half Dome) become handicap assessable.

It already is: http://www.nolimitstahoe.com/adventures/halfdome.htm
July 03, 2009 10:57PM
2nd time about to go up for me, but first time for my lil brother. This guy is coming down face first, sliippppppp slllliiiippp and he's on the outside of the cables and wearing tennies. And there's no crowd, he just decided to do it that way. Idiot.

Meanwhile, me and lil bro made it up and down OK with no chances taken.
July 03, 2009 11:15PM
A lot of people prefer decending on the outside of the cables; When there was a log jam, I switched to the outside and found the footing to be a lot better (less worn down) and I had more control over when I could start and stop. I did not go down facing forward, but I did use one cable, as eeek has mentioned he does, too. I don't believe that the boards offer that much protection if you are going to fall, so I felt no less protected on the outside of the cables than on the inside.
July 05, 2009 01:29PM
Turning Half Dome into Disneyland won't stop people getting killed either:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hQkSBcJYEealqbWm6v_FoKe1gknAD998GGV00
July 05, 2009 05:42PM
How about a second set of cables...one way up and one way down.....The crowds are going to come anyways, might as well turn the one way street into a two way street.
July 05, 2009 06:27PM
25 posts, 75+ to go!

Jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login