Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Lembert Dome 360

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 07, 2009 05:59PM
July 07, 2009 09:20PM
Can this be done without trekking poles? Might do this 19th before wandering down to Mammoth, doesn't look very difficult.
July 07, 2009 09:24PM
Vince
Can this be done without trekking poles?

I did it as a teen, Vince, and I have never used poles of any kind.
July 07, 2009 09:28PM
eeek
Vince
Can this be done without trekking poles?

I did it as a teen, Vince, and I have never used poles of any kind.

Come along with the goat pack, my friend, and you will change your tune.

(read... Goat Gulch Venue)
July 07, 2009 10:09PM
Saturday 18th target date, then down to the family reunion at Pumice Flat.

It looks kinda easy and I have sticky hiking shoes. Looks like fun. I wouldn't be there till maybe 8 or 9 a.m. tho.
July 07, 2009 10:11PM
I've walked up the south side without poles.

Old Dude
July 07, 2009 10:13PM
Warning to you:

My family history relates to the Warsaw area. My real last name (which I don't use) ends in -ski

So you would need...a trekking...pole...LOL
July 07, 2009 10:45PM
Vince
My family history relates to the Warsaw area.

Warsaw, Alabama.

Vince
My real last name (which I don't use) ends in -ski

The exception that proves the rule.
July 07, 2009 10:38PM
Trekking poles are a somewhat new acessory here in the states, so I suppose that anything is do-able without them, but after using them and then having to lend them out in the middle of a hike, I would now ask myself why would I want to be without trekking poles?

Busy Bee
July 07, 2009 10:45PM
Bee
Trekking poles are a somewhat new acessory here in the states, so I suppose that anything is do-able without them, but after using them and then having to lend them out in the middle of a hike, I would now ask myself why would I want to be without trekking poles?

Busy Bee

I wouldn't. Keeps your aging 50-something knees safe (I will be 48 in August...close enough).

But Lembert looks tame enough to not need them. Just decent hiking shoes and a slight attitude (and working camera) should do it. Reach the east entrance around, say, 6 a.m., up, down, get to Mammoth in time for fat juicy steak along the Middle Fork San Joaquin on a Saturday night.
July 08, 2009 05:17PM
Vince,

Poles would be nice but certainly not necessary.

Jim
July 09, 2009 07:00AM
Bee

Busy Bee

Did you see many hikers with poles? I continue to contend that they are relatively rarely used on regular trails, although often people have them stashed in packs. My recent survey supports that they are more often used by those with old knees. Even my handler does not take them, then needs to borrow them from me!

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
July 09, 2009 07:14AM
Ok. This is gonna be my LAST post on sticks.

For many years I have SKIED and backpacked without sticks.
If you stick to the Bunny Slopes you don't need sticks for either.

Head to black diamonds and you'll want sticks for both.

I wanna be backpacking without pain for another 40 years.
I take my sticks, thank you very much.
July 09, 2009 07:14AM
In the backcountry you see poles or a hand made walking stick more often than not.

Old Dude
July 09, 2009 08:22AM
On this last trip, I saw more ridiculously huge "walking sticks" with some sort of glyphics etched on them, than I ever have.

Who uses sticks? Cutting edge, seriously devoted mountaineers who no longer rely on trails, and a few informed hikers who are willing to push beyond the limits of the beaten path.
July 09, 2009 09:26AM
O boy... I wasn't talking Lembert.
July 09, 2009 09:21AM
This thread is REALLY getting ridiculous.

Why would you even think about using trekking poles on Lembert? It's a friction scramble, hands and feet (Class 3 or 4, depending on your preferred definitions). Would you use trekking poles up the HD cable route face?

Vince is actually right for once (all together now: GASP!!!) about the "sticky" rubber shoes, although I would be greatly surprised if he has any that might be considered proper. (By the way, the fact that he asked the trekking pole question suggests that he has never even seen Lembert.) Do a websearch for "approach shoes" - Evolv makes some good ones.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2009 10:01AM by szalkowski.
July 09, 2009 09:03PM
szalkowski

Why would you even think about using trekking poles on Lembert? It's a friction scramble, hands and feet (Class 3 or 4, depending on your preferred definitions). Would you use trekking poles up the HD cable route face?

Vince is actually right for once (all together now: GASP!!!) about the "sticky" rubber shoes, although I would be greatly surprised if he has any that might be considered proper. (By the way, the fact that he asked the trekking pole question suggests that he has never even seen Lembert.) Do a websearch for "approach shoes" - Evolv makes some good ones.

Dumb comment about whether I've actually seen it, but I'll respond with this.

Do I need trekking poles? The answer was earlier and not later. Thanks anyway. Don't hurt yourself with a response. I'll be up there 18th Sat July
July 10, 2009 12:35PM
Vince
I'll be up there 18th Sat July

Vince,

I'll wave at you from Vogelsang Pass. You gotta wave back!

Jim
July 11, 2009 04:28AM
Vince
szalkowski

Dumb comment about whether I've actually seen it, but I'll respond with this.

Do I need trekking poles? The answer was earlier and not later. Thanks anyway. Don't hurt yourself with a response. I'll be up there

Vince is presently recruiting mountaineers to round out his expedition:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46btEgKmCTo&NR=1
July 09, 2009 10:10PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login