All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar California may crack down on poachers
July 07, 2009 06:15PM
The state Senate Public Safety Committee on Tuesday unanimously approved AB 708, a bill that would set a mandatory minimum fine for some poaching violations, including hunting protected birds or hunting over the limit or out of season. The mandatory minimum fine for a first offense would be $5,000 for anyone illegally taking or trading amphibians, birds, fish, mammals or reptiles. The bill has already passed in the Assembly.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/greenspace/2009/07/poaching.html
avatar Re: California may crack down on poachers
July 07, 2009 08:15PM
The penalties for poaching, as for drunk driving, have always impressed me as almost trivial.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
July 07, 2009 08:59PM
Frank Furter
The penalties for poaching, as for drunk driving, have always impressed me as almost trivial.

Having seen someone go through the DUI routine I can say it is not all that trivial. Unfortunately it isn't all the effective either. Sigh.
July 07, 2009 09:13PM
eeek
Frank Furter

Having seen someone go through the DUI routine I can say it is not all that trivial. Unfortunately it isn't all the effective either. Sigh.

In Montana, there are frequently those with multiple DUIs, still driving including those with history of accidents with injuries or deaths. It is a disease that requires cooperation of the "infected" person for treatment which rarely occurs.
Often the poaching punishment involves loss of hunting license for 1-5 years and fairly low fines. I don't understand why hunting licenses are not revoked permanently for repeat offenders.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
July 07, 2009 09:17PM
The hunting lobby is quite strong. That's why.
July 07, 2009 10:17PM
eeek

I don't agree with your comment. But I'm also not a hunter (except for shooting pictures of wildlife).

However, my boss is a very avid hunter. Sometimes I think he has no respect for critters, other times he displays a bit of compassion. It's difficult to get him into a serious discussion, that's what all us worker bees are for while he goes and has fun. I'll corner him on it (he always corners me on business, might as well corner him on fun).

If I take my .357 mag and bust open a geode, no one cares...LOL
July 07, 2009 11:31PM
Vince
eeek

I don't agree with your comment.

That doesn't make it less true.
July 08, 2009 07:02AM
I took a quad duece one trip.

Typically it's only a single. Maybe a double.
Heck some weekenders is nada.
Was only a double on the six dayer...

Is this on topic?
Anyone see that deer?
July 07, 2009 10:10PM
California has a Super Deuce Law that can land a repeat DUI offender in the state pen with a two year minimum hard time sentence. Don't know all the details but my ex prosecuted one of the first cases back in the mid nineties.

Old Dude
July 07, 2009 11:35PM
mrcondron
California has a Super Deuce Law that can land a repeat DUI offender in the state pen with a two year minimum hard time sentence. Don't know all the details but my ex prosecuted one of the first cases back in the mid nineties.

Yes, California has severe penalties. But looks like many repeat offenders still on the road:

"Californians are sharing the road with 310,971 convicted drunk drivers with
three or more DUI convictions and 44,210 of those people have five or more
convictions, according to a study released by MADD last year based upon data
from the U.S. Department of Transportation. "

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS92730+10-Apr-2009+PRN20090410

-- Carl Sagan
July 07, 2009 11:51PM
I think the super deuce thing requires so many DUIs within a time frame and a personal injury accident to boot.

Old Dude
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login