Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite Miwok Chief? Mary Wilson? Maybe not.

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Yosemite Miwok Chief? Mary Wilson? Maybe not.
July 07, 2009 06:37PM

Yosemite National Park sign has Mary Wilson under "Chief's House" in Yosemite National Park's Indian Village.

Mary Wilson - was she a Yosemite Miwok Chief?

Follow Yosemite Paiute on Twitter.com

Yosemite Paiute now on Twitter

Bear Head

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2009 06:39PM by Yosemite_Indian.
avatar Re: Yosemite Miwok Chief? Mary Wilson? Maybe not.
July 07, 2009 07:21PM
Is it too late to make Mary a honorary Paiute?
avatar Re: Yosemite Miwok Chief? Mary Wilson? Maybe not.
July 07, 2009 10:06PM
Hmmm...well Mary is already an "honorary" Miwok. Usually we Natives like to be called what we are unless there is something up.
Re: Yosemite Miwok Chief? Mary Wilson? Maybe not.
July 08, 2009 12:25AM
In the summer of 1969, I had the good fortune to work on the Yosemite campground maintenance crew with the late Jack Kirk (1906-2007). Jack voiced his admiration and respect for Phoebe Hogan, who I believe had recently passed away about that time. In the intervening years, I have forgotten most of what Jack said of the lady, except for one memorable topic. Jack said that Phoebe Hogan had told him of a hidden trail that went UP the east side of the Washington Column to the North Dome. Jack said he believed every word that she told him, but he could never find the trail. Jack said that you had to climb a tree to access the start of the trail.

In subsequent years, I worked with Ron and Evelyn Wilson in the Wawona area, who were ironically also Jack's neighbors on Mariposa Creek. I can only wonder if they are related to Phoebe Hogan.

I have no dog in the Piute/Miwok squabble, but I do hope some accurate and definitive records are assembled and preserved.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login