Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Rocketlawyer.com

Advanced

Photographer Beware

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 07, 2009 07:52PM
If you ever read the terms of “photo contests” you have likely been appalled by them – and you should be! By simply entering many of them you surrender substantial rights to your own work.

http://www.gdanmitchell.com/2009/07/07/photographer-beware-two-examples-of-intellectual-property-rights-grabbing-contests
July 07, 2009 10:57PM
I didn't read the link. This is something I've known for a long time. You retain ALL rights to your work untill you sign them away. So don't be stupid. Also, don't clutter your digital work with giant copyright signs...that's a turnoff. I embed my name on the high-megapixel photos in small, where-you-won't-look places on the photo on the pixel level. Only takes a couple minutes to do.
July 08, 2009 06:40AM
Vince
I embed my name on the high-megapixel photos in small, where-you-won't-look places on the photo on the pixel level. Only takes a couple minutes to do.

Vince:
The FBI has been aware of such micro-ID markers for years. They scan every photo that appears on the web and use them to track your movements.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2009 06:47AM by szalkowski.
Re: Photographer Beware
July 08, 2009 05:55PM
eeek
If you ever read the terms of “photo contests” you have likely been appalled by them – and you should be! By simply entering many of them you surrender substantial rights to your own work.

Yes, if you like photo contests, it's best to stick with a photo club or group. Anyone with a profit motive should be viewed suspiciously, because they're probably holding the contest to get something for themselves, not to give you a prize.

Even if you sell photos, you need to read carefully, and only give them the right for what you intend; If they provide the paperwork, read carefully, and reject it if you don't like what it says. I once sent some photos to a local paper, giving them a dirt cheap 'token' price because they WERE a local paper. Instead of mailing the check, they said I had to come in to get it, and when I did they handed me a piece of paper (to sign) that basically said any photos I submit to them in the future can't be submitted to any other publication for a period of time, and on and on about "their" rights. I told them where to put their paper, collected my check (the photos had already been published) and told them that those were the last ones they'd ever get from me. The editor agreed with me, saying he wouldn't sign it either...apparently it was owned by a larger organization, and that requirement was theirs.

But I see lots of contests that mostly are there to rip off your photos...even if you don't do photos for money or prizes, it's better to reject these and stick with legitimate contests that only request publishing rights for winners and runners up.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login