Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Reading while backpacking

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Reading while backpacking
July 08, 2009 06:25PM
I tend to want to read before going to sleep. Have any of you tried one of these while backpacking?
Re: Reading while backpacking
July 08, 2009 07:06PM
Haven't tried one, but it seems like it would work better than a book. Books are awkward to me, because you've got to hold them, which means keeping body parts outside the sleeping bag, and lighting is still an issue to deal with.

I have used an MP3 player and audiobooks, which most libraries have for free download. Maybe not ideal if you need to keep your ears open though. In more crowded campgrounds, the player can help mask noise from rude campers or late-nighters. And once, I woke up around 3AM and was wide awake for some reason. I ended up watching Darjeenan Express on the player's 3" screen, and by the end I was nice and sleepy and dozed right off. Not exactly a backcountry experience, I guess, but who cares, it worked and I enjoyed it.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
avatar Re: Reading while backpacking
July 08, 2009 09:49PM
I'll show this baby again... cause...
screw reading! when you can watch TV in your tent baby!

July 08, 2009 10:09PM
bill-e-g
screw reading! when you can watch TV in your tent baby!

tongue sticking out smiley
July 09, 2009 07:08AM
Isn't it dangerous to read while backpacking?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login