Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Road trips and national parks make winning combination

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Road trips and national parks make winning combination
July 11, 2009 02:20PM
With a bulldog named Bud and a $50 wager on the line, Dr. Horatio Nelson Jackson unwittingly created an American tradition. In May 1903, he set out to prove it was possible to drive an automobile across the country from sea to shining sea. Without a map, a windshield, or any gas stations along the route, he deliberately made his way from San Francisco to New York in 63 days, completing the first transcontinental road trip.

http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index.ssf/2009/07/road_trips_and_national_parks.html
Re: Road trips and national parks make winning combination
July 11, 2009 03:14PM
Reminds me of a book called "Travels with Charlie" (Steinbeck?) about a cross country trip by an old man and a dog in one of the original camper trucks.
avatar Re: Road trips and national parks make winning combination
July 11, 2009 03:31PM
mtn man
Reminds me of a book called "Travels with Charlie" (Steinbeck?) about a cross country trip by an old man and a dog in one of the original camper trucks.

Yep, It's Steinbeck: Travels with Charlie
July 11, 2009 03:32PM
mtn man

Yes, it was Steinbeck.
Lesser known is a book called "Blue Highways'" by William Least Heat Moon. (The title derives from the fact that secondary highways generally are colored blue on maps)
July 11, 2009 03:33PM
szalkowski
Lesser known is a book called "Blue Highways'" by William Least Heat Moon. (The title derives from the fact that secondary highways generally are colored blue on maps)

Would you believe I've actually heard of that book? I think I heard about it on NPR awhile back.
July 12, 2009 06:03PM
Not exactly National Park road trip (mostly midwest and east coast), but recent publication about Harry Truman and road trip after his presidency:
Harry Truman's Excellent Adventure: The True Story of a Great American Road Trip (Hardcover)
by Matthew Algeo

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
July 12, 2009 06:06PM
Frank Furter
Not exactly National Park road trip (mostly midwest and east coast), but recent publication about Harry Truman and road trip after his presidency:
Harry Truman's Excellent Adventure: The True Story of a Great American Road Trip (Hardcover)
by Matthew Algeo

And a link for it: http://yosemitenews.info/am/1556527772
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login