Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Cloud's Rest

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 13, 2009 10:32AM
We had a change of plans this weekend, so the big hike was a 15 mile dayhike to Cloud's Rest. The Tenaya Creek crossing is down below the stepping stones, but other water sources along the trail were aplenty. The trail was a bit busy for my tastes, but the traffic thinned out as soon as we moved away from the junctions. Coming back after sunset provided an intensely irritating confrontation with mosquitoes -- they are out in hordes.

The picture below was taken from Olmstead Point, Tioga rd.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2009 07:18PM by Bee.
July 13, 2009 10:47AM
Very nice. You mean Tenaya Creek.

Where's the photo of Taz on clouds?
July 13, 2009 06:36PM
bill-e-g

We pared down to just the waist packs, so after fitting in water, lunch, filter, and a couple of other things; I could not hardly get the pack closed! I have tried to carry Taz in my front pocket, but he escapes, so he had to stay behind crying
July 13, 2009 06:41PM
What was your Clouds' Rest route? In and out at Tenaya?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
July 13, 2009 06:47PM
Point of clarification: Is it Clouds Rest, Cloud's Rest or Clouds' Rest?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
July 13, 2009 07:07PM
Further research:
USGS Geo names database presented in this forum previously <http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,13350,13368#msg-13368>; list it as Clouds Rest, Apparently not two nouns, "rest" must be a verb making the phrase a command: Clouds... REST!
http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=116:1:4348448900957611

-- Carl Sagan
July 13, 2009 07:54PM
Bee
bill-e-g

We pared down to just the waist packs, so after fitting in water, lunch, filter, and a couple of other things; I could not hardly get the pack closed! I have tried to carry Taz in my front pocket, but he escapes, so he had to stay behind crying

WT!

You mean to tell me you couldn't convice someone to carry that little bugger for you!
Geez.

Diggity Dog... from her first statement... the route was Sunrise TH to CR and back....
July 13, 2009 08:30PM
bill-e-g
Bee
bill-e-g

WT!

You mean to tell me you couldn't convice someone to carry that little bugger for you!
Geez.

Diggity Dog... from her first statement... the route was Sunrise TH to CR and back....

I'm not sure all of what was in Mikey's waist pack, but it was stuffed full; I didn't want Taz to get injured!

Yes, that is the correct route: Sunrise TH--Clouds--Sunrise TH.

Billy, I had Mikey take a bunch of "peaks" pictures from Clouds, because I think that I knew some of them (the angle of the dangle -- as you say -- makes everything guesswork!) I was happy to see that no matter WHERE you are, Clark's(?) twisty top looks the same! Anyway, when he puts the pic up, I am hoping that you can pencil in the names so that I can learn to recognize them from different angles.

Busy Bee

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2009 08:33PM by Bee.
July 13, 2009 10:59AM
Dana beat you again?
July 13, 2009 11:05AM
eeek
Dana beat you again?

No. I started off the day sick to begin with, and it was only through some serious grit that I pushed through it and made a good showing of the day, anyway. For a while, there was a discussion as to whether or not we should turn around and go home. I am glad that I pushed through it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login