Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Tuolumne Meadows Campground

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tuolumne Meadows Campground
July 14, 2009 01:57PM
I'm heading up to TM for a week at the end of the month, and am unsure on a couple of things about the campground.

FIRST: when I reserved the week on "reserve america" it did not specify a campsite. If I get there right at noon (which is check in) will I be able to select a site myself? Or do they assign? I'm asking because I dont want to wake up at the crack of dawn to get a great spot (its a sunday) if I dont get to pick.

SECOND: I have read conflicting information about showers at the TM lodge. Are there quarter showers still available for use near the campground, or will I have to drive down to Lee Vining if I feel like washing the deet off me throughout the week?

Also, to those of you who have stayed there recently...how are the skeeters this year? I have every kind of repellent known to man, but are there any other precautions that I can take to stop the dang bugs from biting?

Any help is appreciated Smile T
avatar Re: Tuolumne Meadows Campground
July 14, 2009 02:43PM
I would note that you can no longer reserve a US government campsite on ReserveAmerica. I remember doing so in 2007, but it's changed. You can get all the information and even check to see if it's booked, but once you try to make the reservation, it transfers you to Recreation.gov (which uses ReserveAmerica as the service provider). They require a specific Recreation.gov account. That being said.......

I haven't stayed there, but I looked up the info here:

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Tuolumne_Meadows/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70926&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

There's a direct phone number for the campground at the bottom. (209)372-4025.

I called them up and asked how it would work if I had a reservation. Apparently the site is assigned to each camper at check-in. I don't know if you'll be able to plead for a specific site (if available).

http://yosemitecampsites.com/tuolumne/
July 14, 2009 02:49PM
You can pick. They assigned us a site last year which was terrible, so we drove around and found a much better one, and asked if we could have it instead. The kid at the kiosk looked annoyed (probably because he had to do something other than just sit there and veg out), but he let us have it. I've done the same at Hodgdon Meadow.

Just be nice and they'll probably let you have what you want. Or, just tell them what kind of site you want before they assign it to you when you arrive (something by the river, private, etc) and usually they'll accomodate you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2009 02:50PM by cthenn.
July 14, 2009 02:54PM
katydidit
SECOND: I have read conflicting information about showers at the TM lodge. Are there quarter showers still available for use near the campground, or will I have to drive down to Lee Vining if I feel like washing the deet off me throughout the week?

I believe the only nearby public showers would be those at TM Lodge. I think Delaware North is running them like those at Housekeeping Camp or Curry Village. They're probably charging something like $5 per person, and I'd be surprised if they're not having attendants there to check for receipts and collecting the fee for public shower use.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campground.htm

Showers are only available in Yosemite Valley at Curry Village and Housekeeping Camp, and during limited afternoon hours at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge (summer only). Showers are not available elsewhere.
July 14, 2009 03:17PM
You get your site once you get to the campground. It will depend on which type of site you have reserved ie. Tent only, trailer, RV, etc... Most of the tent sites are small and closer to the river, however the larger sites are more towards the center of the campground, near the river but not right next to the river. Generally you can ask to trade a site(one trade only), usually they do get annoyed but just keep asking them if they don't want to help you out. It might be hard to change sites around because the campground it the most full during this time. (End July- August) If your coming up on a sunday you should be able to get a decent spot because like everything else there is a larger quantity of people leaving that day.
They have showers at the lodge but not for a quarter, more like what y_p_w said. The public shower hours are generally only a couple of hours like 12-4.I remember the last two years they ended up closing the showers around August due to the drought conditions. However I was up there on June 19 and there was a lot of water in the river, definitely more than than last two years. In Lee Vining there are showers at different locations. one being at the RV camp, I believe a coin costs $1-2 for 5 min of hot water, otherwise its ice cold water. If you don't want to go to Lee Vining just jump in the river, its nice and refreshing and get the deet off of you. (No soap, not even biodegradable), also its free.
Best bet for Mosquitoes, is to just bring your stuff and be more prepared than to not have anything. Some years there are tons of mosquitoes in the campground and other you'll only see them above 10,000 Ft. There was a lot of water so it might be bug heaven.
Enjoy, i'll be up there around the same time.
July 14, 2009 03:58PM
I rather miss cheap coin-op showers. I've seen coin-op showers that went for as little as a quarter (Mt Rainier NP - at the now torn-down Jackson Visitor Center) to $3.50 (Lodgepole at Sequoia NP). I'm hoping that the latest version of the Yosemite Master Plan will include cheap coin-op showers at the campgrounds. I'd be OK with it if they're something like $1 with additional minutes for a quarter. A countdown timer would be welcome too.

At least it was only $3 a couple of years ago at Curry Village. Now it's $5.

I was looking around for other options around Yosemite. I called the Mariposa/Midpines KOA, and they don't take day use guests.

I'm actually thinking of maybe just paying the $5 day use pool fee at Curry Village when I visit in the next week. I figure that I can take a cool dip in the pool, then take a shower to boot. Maybe even rinse off first before the dip in the pool.
July 14, 2009 05:02PM
Thanks a ton guys... I appreciate all the quick responses.

great to know there's a resource for all of my last minute questions!
July 14, 2009 09:01PM
Just posted on the skeeter thread... I bought a great repellent at one of the Yosemite Valley general stores (they both had it in June).
It's citronella based and they have it in several forms. Buzz Off by Quantum...it cost a bit and it was all they were selling BUT IT WORKS : )
July 17, 2009 08:21AM
One more question on the campground...

I have had a problem finding a reliable weather source for planning on what I need to pack.

What is the weather like typically at the end of July (highs in the 60s and 70s?? lows in the 40s??), and where do all of you find your backcountry weather info?

Thanks!
July 17, 2009 10:17AM
katydidit
One more question on the campground...

I have had a problem finding a reliable weather source for planning on what I need to pack.

What is the weather like typically at the end of July (highs in the 60s and 70s?? lows in the 40s??), and where do all of you find your backcountry weather info?

Thanks!

It's a bit generic, but this one is pretty good. Their reporting is from Fish Camp, which is south of the park entrance, but they have approximate temps at different altitudes. It's a bit hard to get weather info for the backcountry, since that would require quite a bit of equipment.

http://www.wunderground.com/US/CA/Yosemite_National_Park.html

Forecast for Sierra Nevada from Yosemite to Kings Canyon

Updated: 3:18 am PDT on July 17, 2009

Today

Mostly sunny. A 20 percent chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs 90 to 96 at 5000 feet...78 to 84 at 8000 feet.

Tonight

Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of thunderstorms in the evening. Lows 60 to 68 at 5000 feet...48 to 54 at 8000 feet.

In any case, you really need to prepare for different weather conditions. If you get caught when it gets cold, be sure to have at least a light jacket.
July 17, 2009 12:38PM
katydidit

My preference is the NOAA website (here is a link that I centered on the Tuolumne Meadows area):
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=37.87810535842238&lon=-119.35684204101562&site=hnx&smap=1&marine=0&unit=0&lg=en

[They divide their forecast areas into approx. 2 mi. x 2 mi. square cells and interpolate between their actual measurement locations using a mainframe supercomputer to model the weather with these cells as the 'pixels' in their algorithm. You can click on the map to move the forecast area; note that when you do this the long. & lat. coordinates change as well as the elevation and, of course the predicted temperatures.]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2009 02:59PM by szalkowski.
July 17, 2009 12:19PM
I usually check the weather for around the area, Lee Vining, June Lake, Mammoth, etc. These locations are close and if it is stormy in the areas then I can tell what the weather may be. However it can be kinda of unpredictable up in TM. Sometimes there are thunderstorms, other times it is sunny all day no clouds, sometimes it is warm where you only need a sweatshirt and then others where it can get into the 20's at night.
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryFx?TES This site is for Tioga Pass, however I think it is down.

I think right now it is mid 70s during the day and mid to low 40's at night, been this way all week. From my experience it will be warm one week and then get cooler the next and then warm up again the next.
July 20, 2009 10:58AM
Here is the site for Tuolumne Meadows weather, updated daily.
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?TUM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login