Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (88% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Get comfortable out of your comfort zone

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Get comfortable out of your comfort zone
July 15, 2009 05:14PM
The danger of traveling alone in the wilderness is overblown. Various agencies insist that venturing into the backcountry with a companion is the only prudent thing to do, mostly out of a fear of being sued if someone is hurt on a solo trip. As long as a person does not exceed their abilities, I recommend solitude in the wilderness. You'll never feel more alone or vulnerable. Sadly, we are rarely exposed to those feelings; everything is comfortable and under our control.

http://www.morganhilltimes.com/sports/257684-get-comfortable-out-of-your-comfort-zone
avatar Re: Get comfortable out of your comfort zone
July 15, 2009 05:22PM
It works better on nights with full moon. Also, if you are completely clueless about first aid, safety, maps, hiking, backpacking or camping, it would not be recommended to overnight alone. Some people seem "prone" to disorientation and would also not be candidates this soliturde.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
July 15, 2009 05:28PM
Ok. That is funny.

You wanna know why?

Well... look at a map to see where he went...
(Mammoth Peak)

Which is first of all really really suspect on if you are even allowed to camp there...
and secondly you can see Tioga Road from there... (2 miles).

If I can see the road I don't feel alone. Even on top of Clouds Rest... no kidding... you
can see all the lights of Central Valley... and you don't feel alone there IMO....
July 15, 2009 05:48PM
bill-e-g
Ok. That is funny.

I had a feeling you'd enjoy that article.
July 19, 2009 07:22PM
An update on this. Just got back and posed this question to the people issuing the permits.
Sorta funny actually on account it went something like this (at wawona):

lady in green offically looking uniform:
"hi, do you want to buy that map or do you have a question"
me:
"I have a wilderness question. I know you can't camp..."
lady:
"whoa... you have to ask the experts... I have no idea... meow... "
me ( to "experts" ) :
"I know you can't camp in the Dana fork .. but can you camp on top of Mammoth Peak"
experts:
"huh... where is the Dana fork?"

I won't bore you anymore but the answer they gave was no after consulting a map.
(I had to point it out) ...
Ok, they didn't know poo... man, I'm glad I didn't ask them about the TM HSC!

(and people wonder why I'm cynical!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login