Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Mood improvement

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 16, 2009 06:31PM
July 16, 2009 06:39PM
How many violations of park regulations do you see in the photo?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
July 16, 2009 10:13PM
You mean the motorized vehicles?
July 16, 2009 10:34PM
Huh? Are bikes not allowed in this area? (off trail?)
July 16, 2009 11:19PM
Bee

I think there's a paved path there.
July 17, 2009 05:47AM
Bee

I don't believe that bikes, strollers or other wheeled entities are allowed off the roads or bike paths outside the campgrounds. I see at least 4 wheeled vehicles.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
July 17, 2009 01:34PM
Frank Furter
Bee

I don't believe that bikes, strollers or other wheeled entities are allowed off the roads or bike paths outside the campgrounds. I see at least 4 wheeled vehicles.

That is North Pines Campground right behind them and they are just off the road there.
July 17, 2009 02:14PM
Frank Furter
Bee

Off-trail riding is not allowed. I don't see anyone actually riding a bicycle in that photo.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/biking.htm

Off-trail riding, mountain biking, and use of motorized bicycles or scooters on bike paths are not permitted in Yosemite National Park.
July 17, 2009 02:32PM
y_p_w
Off-trail riding is not allowed. I don't see anyone actually riding a bicycle in that photo.

No, they weren't riding. The bikes were just off the road and appeared to be parked.
July 17, 2009 02:46PM
eeek
y_p_w

No, they weren't riding. The bikes were just off the road and appeared to be parked.

I did go through the latest Superintendent's Compendium - in fact signed by the acting Super. They've got a half page on where bicycles are allowed, and at what time.

The big reference is to "bicycle use" off roads or designated bicycle paths, which doesn't say describe what it means. Could it be straddling it? Actually riding it. Just parking it? Walking it? In any case, I really any LE ranger is going to cite anyone for walking a bicycle to the beach. Assuming that these bikes were meant to be ridden legally, I can't tell if they've got helmets. Helmets would be required for any riders under 18 - under California law.
July 17, 2009 03:08PM
On the trails and backcountry I believe there are restrictions dealing with wheeled vehicles in general (strollers, wheelchairs that are pushed by others, carts, or devices for transporting gear etc.). Even near a campground in the Valley, I would be surprised if bikes, technically, would be allowed on the beaches.

-- Carl Sagan
July 17, 2009 03:12PM
July 17, 2009 03:18PM
eeek

PlaidBritish Cloud Dispersing Apparatus, Mark I.
July 17, 2009 05:50PM
July 17, 2009 08:38PM
Ignoring the bikes, what about the mood of the photo?
July 17, 2009 08:43PM
surely norman-rockwellian in the bucolic tranquility presented

-- Carl Sagan
July 17, 2009 08:47PM
Looks like a Google street view camera
July 17, 2009 08:50PM
Vince
Looks like a Google street view camera

Sigh. Wrong picture, Vince.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login