Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: The Mt. Whitney experience

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar The Mt. Whitney experience
July 17, 2009 07:03PM
The Mt. Whitney experience is more than climbing to the summit and then spending several days recuperating, it is a wilderness adventure that is in stark contrast to the urban forest where most of us live our lives.

http://www.examiner.com/x-16034-LA-Mountaineering-Examiner~y2009m7d13-The-Mt-Whitney-experience
avatar Re: The Mt. Whitney experience
July 17, 2009 08:51PM
Just go do it without the prose. The hike is amazing, it leaps out of the desert and dares you.
July 17, 2009 08:52PM
Vince
The hike is amazing

Perhaps you should try it sometime?
July 17, 2009 08:57PM
Sure, about in 2001, 02, 03, 04 and 05.

Been there, done that.
July 24, 2009 04:02PM
Any pics you can supply us with V_I_N_C _E - D ?? other than the Photoshopped ones you got busted with?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2009 04:08PM by BobbyLee.
July 17, 2009 09:59PM
Why oh why do they keep doing that? When I climbed Mt Whitney the mountaineers route it was before the Internet. And yes, the couple behind me practically danced and kissed me when I told them I wasn't getting a permit for the trail. Yes that was back in the good old days when you could wait in line at 5 am and I was at the front of the line.

I had a good time up there but going down the trail after getting to the top was a real let down. Lots of hikers who were not feeling good. The bad smell from the toilets. There were no wag bags back then. When I got down I thought now I've done the damn thing, I'm never coming back. Well now we have another person talking up Mt. Whitney like that's just what we need. Any thing to make a buck I guess and to add to one's journalism resume. All at the expense of the mountain and the people who go up.

I think people should go up. I think they should get all excited and everything. But only if they seek it out on their own. Not from another article.
July 17, 2009 10:06PM
Tis the season? They just had a spread about Whitney in the Sacramento Bee last week...in deference to rightstar76, I wont bother posting the link wink
July 18, 2009 06:31AM
Bee
Tis the season? They just had a spread about Whitney in the Sacramento Bee last week...in deference to rightstar76, I wont bother posting the link wink

You got that right! Supposed to be 100+ in Lone Pine this week...and mid 60s at the summit. Maybe I'll see you down there, I'll be in Mammoth/Postpile today till Friday. Cya!
July 18, 2009 09:17AM
Doug Sr., posted 112 in Ridgecrest!
July 18, 2009 01:05PM
Bee

Why do they call it Ridgecrest? There's no ridge and no crest. It's in the middle of a valley. They should have kept it as Crumville.
July 18, 2009 03:47PM
eeek
Bee

Why do they call it Ridgecrest? There's no ridge and no crest. It's in the middle of a valley. They should have kept it as Crumville.

You can see the ridge crest from there?
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=35.659528,-117.754211&spn=1.048838,1.738586&t=p&z=9

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2009 03:48PM by szalkowski.
July 18, 2009 03:19PM
Wow -- I THOUGHT is was part of the mountain area (I have no idea where Ridgecrest is)
July 18, 2009 03:24PM
Bee
(I have no idea where Ridgecrest is)

It's in the desert near the junction of SR 14 and US 395.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login