Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Two more bear killings in Utah bring total to 5 this summer

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Two more bear killings in Utah bring total to 5 this summer
July 17, 2009 08:57PM
The number of black bears killed by campers and landowners in Utah this summer grew to five Wednesday after wildlife officials confirmed two more cases of animals shot after they were perceived as a threat to humans or livestock. The first, and previously unreported, shooting was on July 1 in Uintah County when a bear that had found food at a campsite earlier in the day returned in the evening. A man in a trailer saw the bear and tried to scare it away. The bear growled at the man and kept coming and was shot with a .22 pistol.

http://www.sltrib.com/outdoors/ci_12845830
avatar Re: Two more bear killings in Utah bring total to 5 this summer
July 17, 2009 08:59PM
Heeeeyyyy Booboo, here, have a sammich and let me pet you
July 17, 2009 09:03PM
eeek
The number of black bears killed by campers and landowners in Utah this summer grew to five Wednesday after wildlife officials confirmed two more cases of animals shot after they were perceived as a threat to humans or livestock. The first, and previously unreported, shooting was on July 1 in Uintah County when a bear that had found food at a campsite earlier in the day returned in the evening. A man in a trailer saw the bear and tried to scare it away. The bear growled at the man and kept coming and was shot with a .22 pistol.

Imagine what will happen when we can carry guns in the national parks!

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
July 17, 2009 09:05PM
Frank Furter
eeek

Imagine what will happen when we can carry guns in the national parks!

I'm still pondering how anybody could kill a bear will a .22 pistol.
July 17, 2009 09:09PM
Those are very unpredictable wounds-- sometimes they track along the soft tissues like pellet guns, sometimes they cause remarkable injuries and death (original saturday night special).

I know of a deer killed with a single shot of a pellet gun.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
July 17, 2009 09:12PM
Frank Furter
Those are very unpredictable wounds-- sometimes they track along the soft tissues like pellet guns, sometimes they cause remarkable injuries and death (original saturday night special).

Oh, it can happen. But I find it weird that nothing was even said about killing the bear with such a wimpy gun. Makes me think there's a lie in there somewhere.
July 18, 2009 10:11AM
eeek
Frank Furter

Oh, it can happen. But I find it weird that nothing was even said about killing the bear with such a wimpy gun. Makes me think there's a lie in there somewhere.

Christopher McCandless supposedly took down a moose with a .22 LR rifle. If you saw the movie version of "Into the Wild", it was portrayed as him getting in his first shot, where the first stunned the moose and he repeatedly kept on shooting it until it went down.

I'm not a hunter, but I've talked to a few in my day. I understand that a .22 LR is usually not useful for hunting anything larger than maybe a rabbit or squirrel. I wouldn't think it would be an ethical or clean hunt to use one on a large animal. How ethical would it be to just pump a large animal with multiple shots as it goes down in agony. The hunters I talked to said that one can't eat the area around a .22 entry wound, that it has to be cut out because of the lead.

Anyone remember the loose Siberian tiget at the San Francisco Zoo? The officers brought it down with their .40 S&W service sidearms. Apparently the first couple of shots didn't even phase it when hit in the chest.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/04/MNOH15MF4Q.DTL

Oshita, who had his .40-caliber semiautomatic pistol drawn, fired three rounds. Two shots hit the tiger in the chest. Oshita said he could see the tiger's hair part, as if someone had blown on it.

"The bullets didn't even slow her down," Oshita said. "She just had this look on her face like, 'Are you kidding me?' "

And Tatiana kept coming.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login