All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar On Earth We Call this Gumbo
July 19, 2009 08:36AM
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20327174.300-clingy-martian-dust-guilty-as-charged.html

Clingy Martian dust guilty as charged
18 July 2009

THE Mars rover Spirit, now bogged down in the Red Planet's soil, will need all the power it can muster if NASA scientists manage to get it moving again. So it's timely that researchers are getting a handle on why dust that collects on the vehicle's solar panels sticks so stubbornly...

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
avatar Re: On Earth We Call this Gumbo
July 20, 2009 07:59AM
I have no idea how you find all this great stuff.
It's too bad IMO more people don't waste their time like me and read them.

Here's my favorite snippet:

William Farrell of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland says this may help to combat the dust - important if people travel to Mars.
"If the dust is toxic and you bring it inside [a human habitat] it could be extraordinarily bad."
July 20, 2009 08:48AM
It will really annoy any domestic help employed on Mars.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
July 20, 2009 08:57AM
I have a question (or 2 or 3).

What if nature tugs at you? Do you tug back?
And what in nature are you tugging at?
July 20, 2009 09:52AM
Like, ya know, its, like, all connected, man.

I got tired of the old quote and that was the best I could find. I briefly considered Woody Allen's "I am two with nature".

-- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2009 09:56AM by Frank Furter.
July 20, 2009 10:25AM
Frank Furter
Like, ya know, its, like, all connected, man.

I got tired of the old quote and that was the best I could find. I briefly considered Woody Allen's "I am two with nature".

I rather like this one from the History Channel series "Life After People:"
"The rats will have to earn a honest living."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login