All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 20, 2009 04:43PM
SHORT TERM FORECAST
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RENO NV
422 PM PDT MON JUL 20 2009

CAZ073-NVZ001-210100-
MONO-MINERAL AND SOUTHERN LYON COUNTIES-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BRIDGEPORT...COLEVILLE...LEE VINING...
MAMMOTH LAKES...HAWTHORNE...YERINGTON...SMITH VALLEY...MINA...
SCHURZ
422 PM PDT MON JUL 20 2009

.NOW...
ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WILL CONTINUE DEVELOPING ALONG AND EAST OF A
LINE FROM YERINGTON TO BRIDGEPORT TO NEAR BISHOP THROUGH 6 PM. THE
STORMS WILL MOVE EAST AT NEAR 10 MPH. THE STRONGEST THUNDERSTORMS
MAY PRODUCE GUSTY WINDS TO NEAR 40 MPH ALONG WITH BRIEF MODERATE
RAINS OF UP TO ONE HALF INCH. OCCASIONAL LIGHTNING IS ALSO LIKELY
IN AND NEAR THE THUNDERSTORMS WITH THE STRONGEST STORMS PRODUCING
MORE FREQUENT LIGHTNING STRIKES.

$$
Re: Short Term Forecast
July 20, 2009 08:28PM
Around the Tuolumne area, the weather forecast for the rest of the week changed from partly cloudy to 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms. How bad does the weather have to get before you guys call off a camping trip?
July 20, 2009 08:46PM
KenS
Around the Tuolumne area, the weather forecast for the rest of the week changed from partly cloudy to 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms. How bad does the weather have to get before you guys call off a camping trip?

We had three days of rain on a camping trip a few years ago. It didn't stop us.
July 20, 2009 08:36PM
Don't ask the Grand Poobahh Goatie (bill-e-g), because the question would have to be phrased more like "how minimal does the chance of clear weather have to be before calling off a trip"

I would guess that it depends on how far away you live, because for us, it's a matter of "eye-witness" weather: pack it in if it rains for too many hours...2 hr or less drive home(I heard a story of 24 hours downpour/16 hours in the tent before canning a trip)

It also brings up the age-old dilemma: to bring rain gear or not to bring; after purchasing my $20 featherweight windbreaker this weekend, I am now thinking about that Marmot Precip jacket that Billy has!
July 21, 2009 12:15AM
I'd rather be up there is the rain than in So Cal with the heat. As long as your not setting up camp or tearing down camp in the middle of a thunderstorm, anythings fine.
July 21, 2009 09:47PM
If it was in the middle of a thunderstorm, I'd probably be trying to balance myself on top of my bear canister.
July 21, 2009 11:06PM
KenS
If it was in the middle of a thunderstorm, I'd probably be trying to balance myself on top of my bear canister.

Something like this?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login