All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Wolf Proposal for Scotland
July 21, 2009 05:10AM
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090720134527.htm

Wolf Reintroduction Proposed In Scottish Highland Test Case
ScienceDaily (July 21, 2009) — Researchers are proposing in a new report that a major experiment be conducted to reintroduce wolves to a test site in the Scottish Highlands, to help control the populations and behavior of red deer that in the past 250 years have changed the whole nature of large ecosystems....

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
avatar Re: Wolf Proposal for Scotland
July 21, 2009 05:13AM
Ok, time to make popcorn and sit back to watch the debate.
July 21, 2009 06:49PM
eeek
Ok, time to make popcorn and sit back to watch....

It's been done before:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082010/
July 21, 2009 07:36PM
Indeed:

July 21, 2009 05:27AM
Can't we just send Vince there?

O... nevermind... they probably have internet there too...

(I'm waiting for the "exceptions" M.E.)
(seriously... are there any?)
July 21, 2009 05:56AM
There is an associated story related to elk nutrition in wolf country. Cattle ranchers often complain that even if the wolves do not attack, the stress and feeding changes result in loss of weight gain. I have never heard that argument made for elk:

http://www.montana.edu/cpa/news/nwview.php?article=7324

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
July 21, 2009 06:12AM
Frank Furter
Cattle ranchers often complain that even if the wolves do not attack, the stress and feeding changes result in loss of weight gain.

They sound like a bunch of whiny little girls.
July 21, 2009 06:52AM
eeek

That would be spoken with Arnold's accent?

I have been amazed at the value of each cow and the significance in a large herd of 50-100 pounds of weight loss/animal. Depending on the herd size it can be thousands of dollars in a industry with feast or famine returns. I think the main problem is proving that the wolves were the cause and to what extent. With a carcass there is more forensic evidence.

-- Carl Sagan
July 21, 2009 06:54AM
Frank Furter
eeek

That would be spoken with Arnold's accent?

No, I was thinking Bruce Campbell and he'd be referring to Awnold as well.

think the main problem is proving that the wolves were the cause and to what extent.

I think the main problem is they're just making this up without any actual data.
July 21, 2009 07:37AM
eeek

think the main problem is proving that the wolves were the cause and to what extent.
I think the main problem is they're just making this up without any actual data.

Like the "Life After People" rats, the ranchers would be forced to go out and make an honest living.

GO VEGAN!
[or, at least, VEGETARIAN]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2009 07:38AM by szalkowski.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login