All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar So-called bearproof vault
July 25, 2009 08:00AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/25/nyregion/25bear.html?_r=1

Jim

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2009 08:05AM by tomdisco.
avatar Re: So-called bearproof vault
July 25, 2009 08:09AM
Thank you. /

Old Dude
Re: So-called bearproof vault
July 26, 2009 01:10PM
Since I've been hearing about that for two years, it's hardly news. It's been repeated across many a backpacking forum.

None of the bear canisters are bear proof - merely bear resistant. Give them enough time and they'll eventually get into them all. I'm getting a Bearikade at some point but Bear Vault is willing to replace my lid that spins past the tab, so I'm going to do that in the short term.
July 26, 2009 01:21PM
AlmostThere
Since I've been hearing about that for two years, it's hardly news. It's been repeated across many a backpacking forum.

Sorry about that but the article linked to was just written July 24th.

Jim
July 26, 2009 02:37PM
I don't think the Garcia has ever been compromised by a bear. My daughter broke into my hiking buddy's and stole some Ho-Ho's a few years ago.

Old Dude
July 26, 2009 08:06PM
Neither has the Bearikade. The Bearikade, in terms of ratio of can base weight to volume/capacity, is the lightest can on the market.
July 26, 2009 02:02PM
Yes, I know - and in the article it says the bear's been doing it for a few years.... "But reports began coming in from campers a few years ago that BearVaults were being broken into..."

The Times is behind the times. grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login