Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Three American hikers arrested in Iran

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Three American hikers arrested in Iran
August 01, 2009 10:56AM
Do we want them back?

(this is a repost)

(CNN) -- Iranian security forces arrested three Americans, accusing them of illegally entering the country from Iraq's Kurdish region, Iran's official Press TV said on Saturday.

The network's Web site quoted a wire story saying the three Americans were backpackers and that a Kurdish official had warned them not to hike in the mountains because of the proximity of the Iranian border.

Story Here.
avatar Re: Three American hikers arrested in Iran
August 01, 2009 11:01AM
a) Iraq is not stable, not even in Kurdistan

b) Iran is not stable, see the definition of uranium isotopes 238 235 and plutonium 239

c) the middle east is not stable

d) the USA has hundreds of thousands of hiking trails, most of them more beautiful than kurdistan

e) all the other reasons not to hike where they did

f) sharp serrated blades
August 01, 2009 12:27PM
Vince
Do we want them back?

I suppose that depends on what condition they are in and what gifts they bring back.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
August 01, 2009 01:56PM
Remember, these were the strongest swimmers at their inception.

Jim
August 02, 2009 02:48PM
August 02, 2009 02:57PM
Some of the pictures I've seen from Iran's wilderness are the most beautiful I've ever seen. It's too bad Iran hates us so much :\ I don't know anything about Kurdistan's surrounding areas so I can't comment on whether the risk was worth it, but I'm guessing it wasn't yawning smiley
August 02, 2009 03:00PM
I think Iran's people are quite friendly. It's the government BS that gets in the way. In this case, religious government, a deadly combination.
August 02, 2009 04:49PM
Vince
I think Iran's people are quite friendly. It's the government BS that gets in the way. In this case, religious government, a deadly combination.

We know... we just threw a bunch of right-wing religious zealots out in the last election.
August 02, 2009 05:08PM
szalkowski
Vince

We know... we just threw a bunch of right-wing religious zealots out in the last election.

A good thing. I have no use for organized religion.
August 02, 2009 06:54PM
Vince,

I agree with you but the arrows are already in the air coming at you. They are very quiet till they hit.

Jim
Re: Three American hikers arrested in Iran
August 04, 2009 01:16AM
"...threw a bunch of right-wing religious zealots out in the last election."

Just about all of the political litmus tests that I have ever taken indicate that I am more of a centrist, so I will dare to comment on so-called American right-wing zealots: I worked with pro-Shah Christian Iranians (called "Assyrians"winking smiley in the central valley when I was in grad school. After I got over the surprise of meeting Presbyterian Iranians and other denominations, I learned that they didn't care for the extreme violence potential of either side of the spectrum - be it the late Shah's Savak or the Ayatollah's Republican Guard (or is it the Revolutionary Guard; I get confused over the two names).

Unless I interpret incorrectly, the major point of contention with so-called American zealots is the abortion issue. As if our relatively minuscule violence toward clinics and physicians isn't severe enough, I daresay if you practiced abortion in a Muslim land, the best you could hope for is a mere hanging. After Khomeini's takeover, some of the Shah's government were executed by machine gun - starting at the ankles and working up with carefully-placed shots to prolong agony before a merciful coup-de-grace.

On occasion, I find myself a bit peeved at the ignorance of some fundamentalist groups about a fraternal group I belong to, but they can't hold a candle to middle eastern cruelty. My apologies if I intruded on a personal spat, but I felt compelled to minimize the alleged extreme of American religion.
August 04, 2009 07:51AM
I always become uneasy with the reasoning that another country is so much worse than the US and therefore our indiscretions/errors/injustices are in some way acceptable.

After raising teenagers, it sounds, in a sense, much like that classic, relativistic argument that "All the other parents let their kids do it or more".

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login