Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Popular Insect Repellent Deet Is Neurotoxic

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Popular Insect Repellent Deet Is Neurotoxic
August 06, 2009 04:46PM
ScienceDaily (Aug. 6, 2009) — The active ingredient in many insect repellents, deet, has been found to be toxic to the central nervous system. Researchers say that more investigations are urgently needed to confirm or dismiss any potential neurotoxicity to humans, especially when deet-based repellents are used in combination with other neurotoxic insecticides.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090804193230.htm
avatar Re: Popular Insect Repellent Deet Is Neurotoxic
August 06, 2009 05:27PM
I thought that VX gas was a more potent cholinesterase inhibitor.

I remember using various flea/tick insecticides on my dog. There were numerous warnings that it was a mild cholinestrase inhibitor and that atropine could be administered in case of serious poisoning.

You should see what these things do. Once as a naive kid I caught a cricket and just placed one drop of diazanon (since banned in the US for household sales) in a jar. It sort of twitched itself to death. I'm pretty sure it was dead within seconds, but it just kept on twitching for about 40 seconds.
August 06, 2009 07:25PM
Iiiiiittttt Iiiiiiissss????????

DEET does make your lips numb. So...don't get it on your lips.
August 06, 2009 08:22PM
Vince
So...don't get it on your lips.

Yeah, right. Like anybody can stop it.
August 06, 2009 08:54PM
So far as I can tell from the prelininary article, there is not much dramatically new reported. I don't think this report will change the use of DEET. There are many reports of neurotoxicity, seizures, and cholinergic excess syndromes in the medical literature and many animal studies, recommendations to use lower concentrations on children and reports that DEET may have additive or synergistic effects with insecticides. The molecule, DEET, resembles many amino ester local anesthetics, which probably explains the lip numbness. Are there warning labels on the DEET products sold in California?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login