Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Quarantined Wood

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 11, 2007 05:25PM
Yosemite National Park Advises Visitors of Quarantined Wood

In an effort to prevent the introduction of the Sudden Oak Death (SOD) pathogen into Yosemite National Park, the Park urges travelers to follow existing quarantines of host material from the SOD-infested coastal California counties, reminding them that they are not allowed to bring firewood, soil, or plants from those areas into Yosemite National Park.

Sudden Oak Death, caused by the pathogen Phytophthora ramorum, affects over 105 known species. Hosts such as black oak, live oak, maple, azalea, bay laurel, buckeye, and tanoak are important tree and shrub species in approximately one-quarter of Yosemite's forest and woodland areas, and two-thirds of Yosemite's developed areas. Yosemite is reported to have the southernmost tanoaks in the Sierra Nevada.

This disease has been decimating woodlands and forests along the Central California Coast and the State and Federal governments have imposed quarantines to slow the spread of this non-native disease, including host plant material and soil from Alameda, Contra Costa, Humboldt, Lake, Marin, Mendocino, Monterey, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Solano, and Sonoma Counties. While scientists think that Sudden Oak Death might not ravage vegetation at Yosemite, so far from the coast, related species of Phytophthora have been found in Yosemite Valley, indicating that Sudden Oak Death could become established in Yosemite's forests and woodlands. Global climate change models indicating warmer, moister California weather might also indicate spread of new diseases.

Coastal residents or visitors who intend to camp or stay in lodges, cabins, or homes within Yosemite are encouraged to take special precautions when traveling to the park. Before going into uninfested areas, clean soil and mud off of shoes, bikes, vehicles and tires. Do not bring in firewood or potted plants from infested areas.

For more information about Sudden Oak Death or with questions about the quarantine, please contact the Public Information Office in Yosemite National Park at 209 372-0200.

April 12, 2007 09:57PM
Heed the words.

In Nov. 2000 I camped out along the Avenue of the Giants and stomped some trails along the northern coast.

In Jan. 2001 I noticed my beautiful Live Oak in my front yard in Boulevard, CA, near the Mex. border, was developing blackness along one large branch, which happend to be the branch I was parking my car under.

A couple weeks later the blackness turned into open sores. Had to do checking on symptoms, it appeared to be the oak disease.

The tree was (and still is) isolated from others, the open sores, which stayed open for much of the summer, eventually healed up. But the tree is in the high desert in the eastern part of San Diego County and the tree recovered, there is little sign of the blight on the one branch that was affected. I just revisited the tree and my old home last weekend and it is healthy.

However, I think this tree was lucky. Yours may not, nor those around you, especially if you live in a damp area or near the ocean. Heed the warning.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login