All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Firewood Costs?
April 18, 2007 05:19PM
It has been 20 years since I last stayed in the valley. I was a teenager at the time and being that we lived in the central valley we always brought our own firewood. I am bringing my family to experience the majesty of Yosemite and can't wait for that week to come. I feel like a kid again oozing with anticipation. Part of the anticipation are nights around the campfire making SMORS and talking story. I realize purchasing firewood in the valley is expensive but I can't find any prices online to know what to expect. Has anyone seen prices recently? I might have an opportunity to get some wood outside the valley but in the event I can't it would be nice to know what wood is going for in the park.

Thanks,
D.

April 19, 2007 07:47PM
If you have to ask...

Seriously, it's not cheap to buy firewood in the Valley. They know they have you.

Re: Firewood Costs?
April 20, 2007 08:54PM
Unless they raise it before summer, the price is $9 (tax included) for a box at the Village store, at least it was a week ago. Almond wood, I think. While it's pricey, I don't think it's out of line for being in the valley...plus, if they sell cheap wood, people might have more and bigger fires, and it's already too smoky at times.

A wild guess at the size of a box is 20"l by 16"w by 8"h, but that's definitely a guesstimate relying on memory. If you're going after May 1, they only allow fires from about 5PM to 10PM, so whether a box would last a night depends on how big a fire you like. We used a box for 2 nights and a morning, but just for small warming fires.

A little kindling is included in the box.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
Re: Firewood Costs?
April 23, 2007 02:18PM
Thanks Gary.... that helps with our planning.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login