Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (71% of Full)

Advanced

Re: strict about group number?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

strict about group number?
April 18, 2007 10:55PM
My friends and I will be at Northpines in July and I could only reserve one campsite (I was one of the lucky ones). I was just wondering. Are they strict about the 6 person limit? We're nerds and a quiet bunch so maybe it'll be okay? Thanks for the heads up in advanced!

avatar Re: strict about group number?
April 19, 2007 12:32AM
How far over will you be?

April 23, 2007 07:53PM
I'll only be over 1 or 2 people. I apologize if I offended anyone with my question, that was not my intention. I really don't think I'm an exception to the rule. I tried my best to get two sites, but just couldn't. We're just some city kids that have been stuck in the library for the past four years and wanted to some fresh air before we head back for another 4.

We wanted to stay somewhere more remote, but from what I read most were on a first come first serve basis. We just weren't willing to take the chance that there wouldn't be any room as we are driving from Orange County. Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely look into some other alternatives. Hopefully I'm not too late.

Post Edited (04-23-07 22:08)
April 23, 2007 10:00PM
Hey OCcamper.. feel free to ask more questions if you like, we're happy to help you with your trip. Check this site out for campsite availability:

http://www.yosemitesites.com/

Click on Valley Floor & Proximity links

Are you going on a weekend or weekday? Most people aren't willing to drive down the dirt road (and RVs can't make it) to Tamarack Flat and Yosemite Creek, so you might be able to find a spot. Yosemite Creek is pretty cool to stroll around and worth a night.. but it's a pain to drive up and down the road if you're staying more than a night or two. If you're going on a holiday weekend (4th of July) you might be dealing with more people, though.
avatar Re: strict about group number?
April 23, 2007 10:10PM
OCcamper wrote:

> I'll only be over 1 or 2 people.

Nobody will notice 1 or 2 people over the 6 person limit. Especially if you don't cause any problems (e.g. noisy, etc.).

April 20, 2007 08:05PM
Here I go again...but I can't help myself.

I certainly HOPE the Park is explicity strict about group numbers. If not, why have the number? Just make up your own number.

We live in a world where more and more people think the rules are made for everyone but themselves. From Yosemite speed limits, taking pets on hiking trails, to feeding wild animals, people think that it's okay to bend the rules to fit their needs.

And every group that thinks they are a "quiet bunch" but many are not.

I realize no one's dying if the group limit is not enforced. But I just wish people would understand why there are rules, limits, and boundaries and simply obey them. It's not the park's fault (or other visitors who do obey the rules) that people don't call far enough in advance to get more than one campsite.

People don't want to be responsible for their actions.

One of these days Eeek is going to ban me from this forum! But is only because I respect the beauty and grandeur of Yosemite so much that I am so passionate about respecting the park's rules.

Some will label me as some uptight, right-wing, conservative nut that doesn't know when to bend the rules. Maybe.

The only thing I'm really conservative about is "conserving" the wonderful national parks that we have in this country. Yosemite being my favorite.

If we are allowed to obey only the rules that work for us, then there are no rules...only chaos. That's not what I want for Yosemite.

Bill
April 20, 2007 08:40PM
"Beauty" and "Grandeur" are not two words I'd use to describe the Yosemite valley campgrounds (due to the crowding, etc). That's why I choose not to stay in them. That said, I hear what you're sayin' Bill.

OCcamper... have you thought of other options? Camp 4 in the valley? Or, are you going to be spending a day near Glacier Point? Hiking to Sentinel Dome or Taft Point? You might want to consider a night at Bridalveil Creek campground.

Are you going up on Tioga Road to see the beautiful sights up there? How about a night at Porcupine Flat, Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite Creek, Tamarack Flat, Crane Flat or Hodgdon Meadows Campgrounds?

I actually prefer some of those other campgrounds. Granted, you have to bring your shower stuff with you to grab a shower somewhere in the Valley (or pay for one at the Tuolumne Lodge camp up on 120), but that's ok with me (I know it isn't ok with everyone).

So, are you dead-set on staying in the valley? Are you backpackers? You can get a permit to spend the night somewhere in the wilderness, spend the night in the wilderness that one night and then stay at the backpackers campgrounds the night before and the night after your wilderness trip.

Just thought I'd give you a few more options if you're looking for some.. I don't know your trip plans or your situation.
April 22, 2007 11:25PM
Yeah, you got me on that one! The campgrounds are neither beautiful nor grand.

I stayed at Upper Pines one time and I promised myself I would never do that again. Just too crowded for my tastes.

When possible, I like to get a wilderness permit and sleep overnight up near White Wolf or nearby locations.

That's the interesting thing - one of thousands - about Yosemite. You can be around several thousand people in the Valley, and yet if you drive up to some of the nice trails up on Tioga road, you may hike all day and only see a handful of people. One August I hiked from Tioga road to the top of Yosemite Falls (an easy recommended hike in my opinion) and I only saw 4 people there and back. If you take the trail from the Valley floor to the top of Yosemite Falls you may see several hundred the same day.

I like that hike particularly where the trail is cut into the walls high above Yosemite Creek on its way to Yosemite Falls. You can lay back on the granite there, look down to the water, see the most beautiful blue sky and it's all yours. Like you own the place!

If you want quiet and serenity, even with 3-4 million visitors per year, you can actually find it in Yosemite. But not at the campgrounds!

Bill
April 23, 2007 04:47PM
April 23, 2007 10:07PM
<Here is some more info on campgrounds (and a buncha other stuff):
http://yosemitefun.com/Yosemite_National_Park_camping.htm>;

Post Edited (04-24-07 08:57)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login