Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Pursuit, Arrest Follow Driver’s Refusal To Pay Entrance Fee

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Pursuit, Arrest Follow Driver’s Refusal To Pay Entrance Fee
August 11, 2009 07:59PM
Badlands National Park (SD)
Pursuit, Arrest Follow Driver’s Refusal To Pay Entrance Fee

Ranger Teri Stoia was dispatched to the park’s Interior fee station on August 4th to investigate an incident in which a prospective visitor wanted to enter the park but declined to pay the entrance fee. She contacted the driver, late identified as Julian Boucher of Hankinson, North Dakota, and found that Boucher wouldn’t pay the fee because he contended that he was not subject to the laws of the United States. Boucher told Stoia to write him a citation. When Stoia asked him for his driver’s license, Boucher refused to provide it and instead sped off into the park. Stoia pursued and summoned assistance; rangers and BIA officers who were on detail to the park during the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally responded. The pursuit continued across the entire park, exiting through the Northeast entrance station. Rangers and officers several times attempted “rolling roadblocks” in an effort to stop Boucher, but each time he would swerve his vehicle towards the nearest cruiser, requiring the officer to take evasive action to avoid a collision or being forced off the highway. South Dakota Highway Patrol troopers responded from Interstate 90 and laid down a series of speed strips to stop Boucher’s vehicle. Before he reached them, rangers and officers were finally able to successfully employ a rolling roadblock and get Boucher to stop. He was taken into custody without further incident. The United States Attorney’s Office in Rapid City intends to charge Boucher with multiple counts of assault on a federal law enforcement officer.
August 13, 2009 04:02PM
Oh, I thought this was in Yosemite...
August 13, 2009 07:36PM
Yosemite or not, it's pretty pathetic.
avatar Re: Pursuit, Arrest Follow Driver’s Refusal To Pay Entrance Fee
August 13, 2009 07:49PM
AlmostThere

<aol>Subscribe!</aol>
August 13, 2009 07:54PM
AlmostThere

Again - I remember when fee avoidance involved people claiming that they merely wanted to go to the post office. Those were the good 'ol days.
August 14, 2009 04:26PM
y_p_w

Again - I remember when fee avoidance involved people claiming that they merely wanted to go to the post office. Those were the good 'ol days.

In Yosemite you could make the case that you're just driving through to Bishop or Mammoth.... I know folks who buy passes just for that reason, to go visit relatives or whatever.
August 14, 2009 07:16PM
Perhaps he felt it was appropriate behavior in the Badlands!

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
August 15, 2009 08:35AM
Freakin indians
August 15, 2009 08:57AM
Vince
Freakin indians

Is bigotry alive and thriving?

There is going to be nutcase rep for all groups (remember the tax exempt freaks who think they have a right not to pay)(in Israel, it's the select few religious freaks who think that they are exempt from National Service for some obscure reason)

Having been the victim of racism, I cringe at even the most casual response of a mass generalization; Rich(Apache) pays all the fees even when he is entering "parks" that used to be part of his tribal homeland in Az.
August 24, 2009 04:56PM
I bet if he had been an Apache they wouldn't have caught him. He'd have just scalped them all and ran off into the bush. Not saying this with any personal experience mind you.
August 24, 2009 08:54PM
I have yet to be pursued...interesting...
August 24, 2009 10:10PM
Vince
I have yet to be pursued...interesting...

So you won't be passing on your DNA?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login