Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Is it OK to deliberately hit a campground bear?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Is it OK to deliberately hit a campground bear?
August 11, 2009 09:51PM
I remember that bear testing bear boxes in Upper Pines a few weeks ago when it finally got one to open. Apparently neither I nor my neighbors could get the bear to take off with screams, noises, etc. Someone got bluff charged and that sort of scared us off from attempting anything more severe. Nobody was terrified of the bear. We were just sort of casually watching from our picnic tables waiting for the cavalry to arrive since the bear was clearly tagged with a transmitter.

Anyone know if it's actually OK (would I get in trouble?) if I deliberately targeted the bear with some sort of blunt object or maybe small rocks? One of the campground neighbors tried the recommended tossing of a rock near the bear, but that didn't phase it. What did seem to get it to leave was a park ranger arriving and the potential for being hit with a projectile such as paintballs or rubber bullets. I know that paintball guns would fall under that "weapons" category (including slingshots) where I'd probably get in trouble if I brought one with me.

I did have nearly a whole case of half-liter plastic water bottles handy. The thought did occur to me that I could grab a bunch and I think I could have hit it from 20-30 feet as it was trying to feed. I don't think it would have been terribly painful, but it would have been unpleasant without much chance of really injuring the bear.
avatar Re: Is it OK to deliberately hit a campground bear?
August 11, 2009 09:56PM
I usually throws rocks at bears. I'm just now good enough to hit them much.
August 11, 2009 09:57PM
August 11, 2009 11:26PM
If a bear was going through a bear box i would try throwing a rock at the bear box because im sure it would be a loud thud especially with the bear's head inside. Plus I think it would be okay to hit with a rock because I think a rubber bullet with have more force than someone throwing a rock at a distance.
August 12, 2009 12:28AM
Javmp
If a bear was going through a bear box i would try throwing a rock at the bear box because im sure it would be a loud thud especially with the bear's head inside. Plus I think it would be okay to hit with a rock because I think a rubber bullet with have more force than someone throwing a rock at a distance.

If I can't hit a bear, why do you think I could hit the bear box?
August 12, 2009 07:38AM
eeek
Javmp

If I can't hit a bear, why do you think I could hit the bear box?

I have a barn door you can practice on ;-)

My first such experience with a bear was at Lolo National Forest - my cousin and I were out in the evening reading 'The Hobbit' and drawing pictures after mealtime, and this bear (who was there like a handle on a pot) came up and started mushing around in the cook area near the fire (my aunt and uncle did not keep an immediately neat or bearproof campsite in 1973, and as kids we didn't know any better). We started yelling and screaming, and the bear had no response. My cousin picked up a hefty rock, and just as the bear stood up to get a mroe commanding view of the area, my cousin plugged the rock and hit the bear squarely in the chest. The Bear groaned, and took off across a meadow as fast as he could. Moral of the story - throwing rocks works (somtimes anyway).

We saw the bear several more times that camping trip. It was very exciting. My aunt and uncle were afraid, so I had to sleep inside the car. Phooey.
August 12, 2009 07:48AM
Javmp

I do remember a supposed case where a group of boy scouts panicked when a bear got on their camp and they started throwing rocks right at it. It wasn't just a few rocks to give it a bad taste about entering a human encampment. They kept on pelting it out of fear and killed it.

Anyone specifically remember this, or is what I'm remembering some sort of "urban" (or "wilderness"winking smiley legend)?
August 12, 2009 11:20AM
y_p_w
Javmp

I do remember a supposed case where a group of boy scouts panicked when a bear got on their camp and they started throwing rocks right at it. It wasn't just a few rocks to give it a bad taste about entering a human encampment. They kept on pelting it out of fear and killed it.

Anyone specifically remember this, or is what I'm remembering some sort of "urban" (or "wilderness"winking smiley legend)?

!!! The bear hung around long enough to be killed? Yikes!
August 12, 2009 11:28AM
bpnjensen
y_p_w
Javmp

!!! The bear hung around long enough to be killed? Yikes!

I thought it was a bear that was pelted, but maybe it was just one kid who nailed it in the head. Apparently it was a lot of rocks thrown at it, but one head shot that got it.

There's mention of it here:

http://www.yosemitefun.com/bears.htm
August 12, 2009 04:21PM
I remember hearing about that story. Unfortunate for the bear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2009 04:22PM by Javmp.
August 13, 2009 09:49PM
August 13, 2009 09:56PM
This says a lot: they used rocks the size of "softballs".
August 13, 2009 10:03PM
eeek
This says a lot: they used rocks the size of "softballs".

That makes more sense. A 75 lb juvenile bear is about the size of the kids who threw them. A rock the size of a softball could kill a person with a direct hit to the head.
August 13, 2009 10:49PM
The article mentions "hanging food"; however, it also mentions "Tuolumne campground". I wonder if they were at the established campground, and if they were, why would they be hanging their food? (bear boxes have been around longer than 1996) In retrospect, I am really glad that I have not had any bear encounters during the two times I have actually stayed in established campgrounds. The whole situation sounds like a pain.

B
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login