All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

TM area fishing
August 14, 2009 08:32PM
I'm going to TM week after next. (Thanks to those who gave me tips in a previous post).
My boys (11 and 7) want to fish. I am not a big fisherman (or fisher of men, for that matter).
Where are good and easy places to fish?
Tenaya Lake?
Ellery Lake?
Other?

Just found this link:
http://www.yosemitepark.com/Activities_RaftingWaterSports_Fishing.aspx
Licenses for 16 and older, can be bought at the Tuolumne Meadows store.
Can a California sport fishing license be bought anywhere? Sport chalet?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2009 08:37PM by snorkus.
August 14, 2009 09:34PM
I've never heard anything good about fishing in Tenaya Lake. Ellery is probably much better (assuming you actually want to catch fish winking smiley)
Re: TM area fishing
August 15, 2009 09:07AM
eeek, not sure if I want to actually catch one, but it would make their day.
I suppose catch and release is an option, or sell the fish to someone in the campground.
August 15, 2009 12:03PM
Make sure you know the buyer!!

Old Dude
August 15, 2009 12:56PM
You can buy a license at Sports Chalet, Sports Authority, etc. Same prices everywhere.

You can fish the stream in the TM area, there are lots of brown trout within the water. They are smaller than the fish that are outside the park, but they are wild trout so if you eat them they will have a better taste. They also are not as easy to catch as those that are stocked, for someone new to fishing it might not be the best place to actually catch fish.

Just outside the park there is good fishing at Tioga Lake, Saddlebag Lake, Ellery Lake. These lakes are stocked and you will have a good chance to catch fish. Most fished stocked are
about 3/4 lb- 1 lb. Best bait for the area seems to be Salmon eggs (Red cap).

P.S. If you are only looking to C&R, make sure you remove the barbs on the hook.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2009 01:01PM by Javmp.
August 16, 2009 09:16AM
That's funny, I was catching only brook trout out of the river.

Going down Lyell Fork of the Tuolumne pays off - I didn't catch anything near the campground, but heading upstream you find the fish chasing your lure every cast. Many are too small to keep but smash the barbs on the hooks and throw them back. One of my group caught a 12 inch brook - she thought it was a brown, it was so big, but it was indeed a brook. I was using spinners and a kastmaster, my friend typically uses power bait. There were fly fisherman up and down the canyon.

You can also buy the license at Walmart. Or online, for that matter.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login