Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Commercial Vehicle Safety Inspections Set For Yellowstone

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Commercial Vehicle Safety Inspections Set For Yellowstone
August 25, 2009 04:48PM
Yellowstone National Park
P.O. Box 168
Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 25, 2009 09-067
Al Nash or Stacy Vallie (307) 344-2015

Commercial Vehicle Safety Inspections Set For Yellowstone

Full level inspections on commercial vehicles will be conducted in Yellowstone National Park on August 26 and 27, and will primarily focus on commercial buses and trucks.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, assisted by park rangers and the Wyoming Highway Patrol, will conduct full level inspections at undisclosed locations in Yellowstone. A full level inspection evaluates both the driver and the commercial vehicle to assure full compliance with federal regulations that govern commercial vehicles.

Conducting these inspections ensures the safe operation of these large commercial vehicles, which helps protect visitors, park employees, and park resources from potential mishaps.

This is second commercial vehicle inspections this summer, and the eleventh year of the interagency inspection program. Each year there has been a significant decrease in the most serious "out-of-service" violations which require that either a commercial vehicle or a commercial driver be taken off the road due to serious mechanical or driver-specific violations.
avatar Re: Commercial Vehicle Safety Inspections Set For Yellowstone
August 26, 2009 05:05PM
Truckers who frequent various areas and know they are running illegal loads will find the side roads where they know they won't get inspected. So it's a good thing Yellowstone is going after them because they can be dangerous.
August 26, 2009 05:07PM
Vince
Truckers who frequent various areas and know they are running illegal loads will find the side roads where they know they won't get inspected. So it's a good thing Yellowstone is going after them because they can be dangerous.

And I been from Tuscon to Tucumacari
Tehachapi to Tonapah
Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made
Driven the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed
August 26, 2009 05:13PM
Truckers that frequent the National Park won't have other roads to use, Vince.
August 26, 2009 07:24PM
eeek
Truckers that frequent the National Park won't have other roads to use, Vince.

Good. They have no business there.
Re: Commercial Vehicle Safety Inspections Set For Yellowstone
August 27, 2009 09:49AM
On one hand, I have faith that the NPS and WHP will successfully pursue and complete an inspection of commercial vehicles and operators, but I'm a bit confused on another point. Commercial vehicles are banned in Yellowstone, except for those providing supplies necessary to park operations and tour buses. Another tiny point is that qualified inspectors do not grow on trees! There does happen to be one stationed in Cody, but the distances involved dictate that he stay in the park for short periods.

There is a flashing roadside sign in Cody - 52 miles east of Yellowstone - advising that commercial trucks are not permitted through the park, but I recall only too well an occasional semi driver stating that his company's dispatcher routed him that way.

Sylvan Pass is essentially a shorter and lower version of Tioga Pass, and I don't ever want to hear of a runaway truck on that road!

In a slightly related topic, I also recall an NPS dumptruck equipped with a "Jake Brake" following park visitors down a steep grade in Yosemite in 1969. The NPS employee was using engine compression to slow his heavy vehicle, but he was scaring the living daylights out of everyone who could hear his truck.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login