Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Re: A Survivor's Tale near Clouds Rest

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

A Survivor's Tale near Clouds Rest
September 08, 2009 05:15PM
avatar Re: A Survivor's Tale near Clouds Rest
September 08, 2009 06:00PM
Fourteen days! Obviously he found his water bottle shortly into this disaster and also was close to a source of water. Nobody can go that long without water.

Jim
September 08, 2009 06:11PM
There must have been enough of a trickle near the place he fell onto. Unfortunately, it was in a remote enough place that no one could hear his cries for help. I wonder how far he fell, and it's quite amazing he was able to climb back up. And whatever head injuries he initially suffered weren't serious. He's one very lucky fellow.
September 08, 2009 07:11PM
More on the same story from NY Times archives:
http://www.nytimes.com/1989/09/10/us/hiker-is-found-15-days-after-breaking-leg.html

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
September 08, 2009 08:33PM
Thanks for the link. This man's will to live is incredible. To have a view of Half Dome, he must have fallen close to the final footpath. Slid down into Tenaya Canyon and lived to tell about the ordeal. He was on his way down, so he must have gotten lost going left.
September 10, 2009 11:02AM
I've been on those slopes, and you simply cannot stop your mind from wandering into the "geez, if I slipped here, it could be all over in a matter of moments." thought path. Depending on how high the water at the bottom was, he was lucky he didn't fall further down.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login