Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Upcoming Backpack Purchase

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Upcoming Backpack Purchase
May 02, 2007 04:00PM
I'm starting to look around for a fairly large internal frame backpack, as my current "school style" backpack has too little capacity and it kills my shoulders.

Do any of you backpacking types have any thoughts on good/bad brands and models? What are the features you have loved or hated about backpacks you have used? What should I look out for?
avatar Re: Upcoming Backpack Purchase
May 02, 2007 04:10PM
I've been using the Gregory Shasta for the past maybe ten years with good results.

Things you need to consider are:
Cost (Shasta is about $250)
Size of pack
Weight of pack
Length of trips
Bear can inside or outside
Do you want to go ultra light

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=48601

Old Dude
avatar Re: Upcoming Backpack Purchase
May 02, 2007 06:11PM
Re: Upcoming Backpack Purchase
May 02, 2007 05:36PM
Best features for me:
1. comfortable hip belt
2. doesn't hit your head when you look up or go uphill when you have it packed full.
3. comfortable on the countours of your back/lumbar area
4. accessible one-handed water bottle pockets (or camelback)
5. removable lid/waist pack/day pack?
6. good foam in the shoulderpads/hipbelt

So for some of those reasons, you should really try backpacks out in the store.

I have a Dana Design, but I think they were sold and Marmot manages them now.
I got my pack before the ultralight movement, so it's kind of heavy. I wish I had a lighter pack.. if you can shave off some weight before you even start packing it's good thing.

If you try on expensive packs, you will probably end up buying one. So either don't go there if you don't want to spend the money, or be willing to buy expensive if that's what's most comfortable. You will be wearing it a lot on a trip. Comfort is key.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login