Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Grand Canyon Rangers Respond To Unfounded Emergency Locator Call

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Grand Canyon Rangers Respond To Unfounded Emergency Locator Call
September 14, 2009 03:42PM
Grand Canyon National Park (AZ)
Rangers Respond To Unfounded Emergency Locator Call

At 1:30 a.m. on the morning of September 2nd, the GEOS Emergency Response Center in Houston notified dispatch of a SPOT personal satellite tracker 911 activation that had been received from the park. The location coordinates placed the device along the Tanner Trail, approximately three miles from the trailhead. An investigation revealed that the registered owner was associated with a backcountry permit holder who had extensive hiking experience in the park. A trail response was begun at first light, just prior to the launch of the NPS helicopter with additional personnel. A ranger arrived on scene to find three people asleep in their tents and in no need of assistance. One of the hikers, who was on her first hike into Grand Canyon, claimed to have become alarmed during the night when her group ran out of water and she subsequently heard “odd” respiratory noises emanating from the leader of the group as he slept. At this point, the hiker decided that the group was in trouble, activated her SPOT messenger device, then promptly went back to sleep without making any contact with her hiking companions. The group ultimately abandoned further plans for their hike and returned to the rim. The Tanner Trail is exposed, with little shade and no water for the entire nine miles of the hike to the Colorado River. Following subsequent interviews with the involved hikers, the park decided not to take further action.
avatar Re: Grand Canyon Rangers Respond To Unfounded Emergency Locator Call
September 15, 2009 12:47PM
Lack of water produces delirium when coupled with exposure to snoring!

Jim
avatar Re: Grand Canyon Rangers Respond To Unfounded Emergency Locator Call
September 15, 2009 12:55PM
That's kind of funny (except for the resources expended)

Years ago, right after "Blair Witch Project" came out, me and my brother were tent camping at the Postpile, we arrived around midnight, set up tents, I was beat from 8 hrs driving and immediately crashed in the sleeping bag and started snoring. He couldn't stand my snoring and he couldn't wake me up so he started shaking my tent, yikes! Right out of the movies! A few minutes later I was back to sleep (not snoring this time) but he was awake when a bear came into the campsite next to ours and started getting into all the food they left out...I slept through it he didn't
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login