Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Visitor kills bear in Mammoth Lakes.

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Visitor kills bear in Mammoth Lakes.
September 27, 2009 12:46PM
Man claims self-defense, even though he had time to go back to his vehicle to retreive his .44 magnum.

http://www.news.sierrawave.net/eastern-sierra-news/2531-visitor-shoots-bear-in-the-lakes-basin

WARNING: THE NEXT TWO LINKS CONTAIN IMAGES OF THE DEAD BEAR.

http://www.news.sierrawave.net/eastern-sierra-news/2535-no-charges-yet-in-lake-mary-bear-shooting

A cub was also found dead in Lake Mamie

http://mammothsheet.blogspot.com/2009/09/bear-shot-at-lake-mary.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2009 12:52PM by Javmp.
avatar Re: Visitor kills bear in Mammoth Lakes.
September 27, 2009 01:33PM
Self defense? If you were stupid enough to let the bear get at your food, then you're probably just as stupid to try to get it back, get growled at or swiped at, then get pissed off, go get your gun and kill the bear. All over a snack that you can go a couple miles down the road and get more if you really, really need it. Hefty fine coming right up if not worse.
September 27, 2009 04:15PM
As of now no charges have been filed, however I have heard from people connected to DFG that huge fines as well as jail time are more than likely.
September 27, 2009 04:40PM
Yeah, carrying a concealed weapon (car, person, no difference); no hunting license; hunting a protected species; not protecting food from bears; discharging a weapon within town limits; etc. etc. etc. they'll get him on a bunch of stuff. Self defense isn't an excuse when a bear eats your food. He'll have to plea and pay the fine and never go back.

A friend of mine said "If you bring food into my house and I eat it, does that give you the right to shoot me?" Right on thinking there.
October 04, 2009 06:44PM
Take a look at the comments. Nobody seems to side with the shooter.
October 05, 2009 02:11PM
There is no reason for ANYONE to side with someone who has the time, makes the effort to go back to his vehicle, acquire an illegally kept loaded weapon, go back and execute a bear. And that is precisely what he did.

As a Mammoth Lakes frequenter, and one who admires and respects what little wildlife we have, he should spend jail time along with those hefty fines.
Self defense?? He couldn't have been more ridiculous. I personally wouldn't want to find myself anywhere near that 58 year old and his gun, and thank god I did not. That was our last day there, and we were on our way home when we heard the sad news.
October 05, 2009 02:48PM
WendyInLongBeach
There is no reason for ANYONE to side with someone who has the time, makes the effort to go back to his vehicle, acquire an illegally kept loaded weapon, go back and execute a bear. And that is precisely what he did.

As a Mammoth Lakes frequenter, and one who admires and respects what little wildlife we have, he should spend jail time along with those hefty fines.
Self defense?? He couldn't have been more ridiculous. I personally wouldn't want to find myself anywhere near that 58 year old and his gun, and thank god I did not. That was our last day there, and we were on our way home when we heard the sad news.

Hear hear. Murder in the First Degree IMHO.
October 05, 2009 05:20PM
WendyInLongBeach

I completely agree.

He should have been arrested on the spot. Nobody seems to know why he wasn't.

[Self defense??

Twinkie defense maybe (haven't we heard that one somehere before), but not at all self defense. His person was never in danger from the bear.

He couldn't have been more ridiculous. I personally wouldn't want to find myself anywhere near that 58 year old and his gun, and thank god I did not. That was our last day there, and we were on our way home when we heard the sad news.

People were around. Good thing he managed not to shoot them too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login