All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Acorns Threaten Massachusetts
September 28, 2009 06:23AM
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/09/26/Acorns-a-growing-threat-in-Massachusetts/UPI-45621253986866/
Acorns a growing threat in Massachusetts
BROOKLINE, Mass., Sept. 28 (UPI) -- Massachusetts residents say they are under siege from this year's large crop of acorns as the hard nuts have been falling from trees like rain.
Greg Roberson and Neil McIsaac of Brookline, Mass., said they routinely encounter the nuts as they fall from area oak trees, creating safety hazards while in the air and once on the ground, The Boston Globe reported.
"Every time I hear one, I think it's a kid throwing a rock at me," Roberson said. "They're falling everywhere."
"I've nearly broken my neck several times," McIsaac offered. "There are tons of them."......

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Re: Acorns Threaten Massachusetts
September 28, 2009 12:32PM
Frank Furter
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/09/26/Acorns-a-growing-threat-in-Massachusetts/UPI-45621253986866/
Acorns a growing threat in Massachusetts
BROOKLINE, Mass., Sept. 28 (UPI) -- Massachusetts residents say they are under siege from this year's large crop of acorns as the hard nuts have been falling from trees like rain.
Greg Roberson and Neil McIsaac of Brookline, Mass., said they routinely encounter the nuts as they fall from area oak trees, creating safety hazards while in the air and once on the ground, The Boston Globe reported.
"Every time I hear one, I think it's a kid throwing a rock at me," Roberson said. "They're falling everywhere."
"I've nearly broken my neck several times," McIsaac offered. "There are tons of them."......

I grew up Massachusetts. What are these people, crybabies? Sheesh....
avatar Re: Acorns Threaten Massachusetts
September 28, 2009 01:43PM
The rodents (rats and squirrels) are probably happy.

Falling stuff can be really dangerous (although acorns do not seem to be in that category).

A most memorable medical article, from New Guinea:

J Trauma. 1984 Nov;24(11):990-1.Links
Injuries due to falling coconuts.Barss P.
Falling coconuts can cause injury to the head, back, and shoulders. A 4-year review of trauma admissions to the Provincial Hospital, Alotau, Milne Bay Province, Papua New Guinea, revealed that 2.5% of such admissions were due to being struck by falling coconuts. Since mature coconut palms may have a height of 24 up to 35 meters and an unhusked coconut may weigh 1 to 4 kg, blows to the head of a force exceeding 1 metric ton are possible. Four patients with head injuries due to falling coconuts are described. Two required craniotomy. Two others died instantly in the village after being struck by dropping nuts.

PMID: 6502774 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
avatar Re: Acorns Threaten Massachusetts
September 28, 2009 05:01PM
Sesame Street National Park

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login